Seventeen-month-old Easton Rosen is recovering at Shriners Hospital for Children in Boston after being badly burned in a grease fire Saturday in his family’s Manchester, New Hampshire, home.
Despite suffering third-degree burns on his head, arm, foot and back, the boy was in remarkably good spirits Thursday.
Sign up for our Newsletters
“That’s him, that’s his personality, he is by far the happiest baby ever,” said Sheila Chase, Easton’s grandmother.
“We’re hoping that the surgery goes well and we can finally get on the good road to recovery,” said Andrew Rosen, Easton’s father.
The family was cooking funnel cakes when the oil exploded onto Easton.
Andrew grabbed the flaming pan and tossed it out the door, but not before his arm was burned as well.
“I’m thankful he didn’t get any in his eye or we’d be dealing with a whole different situation right now,” he said.
Easton visited with his family Thursday through a window at the hospital, just hours before he was due to undergo surgery.
“To see him today now, it makes me see good, look at him, look at him blowing kisses,” said Vivian Rosen, Easton’s grandmother.
“Going through everything that he’s been through, so far to have him be smiling and waving, it’s nice to see him like that,” Andrew said.
Doctors are confident they can prevent major scaring and his hair will grow back. His first surgery is scheduled for Friday morning.
Easton’s father said the family will no longer cook with the boy in the kitchen. The family said it hopes others can learn from their experience.
Those who want to help the family can donate to their online fundraiser.
TOP STORIES FROM WCVB:
Stoneham school officials reverse course, decide district will not go fully remote
Gov. Baker activates National Guard to prepare for possible large-scale demonstrations
Prostitution charges against New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft dropped
Massachusetts resident stuck in Israel during COVID-19 pandemic
‘Appalling and outrageous’ Baker says of hints of non-peaceful transition of power
Drought conditions pose troubling choices for local cranberry growers
READ THE FULL STORY:Toddler recovering at Boston hospital after suffering burns in kitchen accident
CHECK OUT WCVB:Get the latest Boston news, weather and sports online, anytime. Stay in the know with Boston’s news leader – WCVB.