Washington — A person suspected of sending an envelope addressed to White House that contained the poison ricin has been arrested, the FBI said Sunday. CBS News has learned the suspect, a woman, was apprehended at the New York-Canada border and is believed to have been trying to enter the U.S.
CBS News has also learned that the woman was carrying a gun.
Her name wasn’t released.
The U.S. Customs and Border Patrol and Royal Canadian Mounted Police had no comment.
The letter appeared to have originated in Canada, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police have said. It was intercepted at a government facility that screens mail addressed to the White House and President Trump and a preliminary investigation indicated it tested positive for ricin, officials said.
There have been several prior instances in which U.S. officials have been targeted with ricin sent through the mail.
A Navy veteran was arrested in 2018 and confessed to sending envelopes to Mr. Trump and members of his administration that contained the substance from which ricin is derived. The letters were intercepted, and no one was hurt.
In 2014, a Mississippi man was sentenced to 25 years in prison after sending letters dusted with ricin to President Obama and other officials.
WASHINGTON — A woman suspected of sending a letter containing the deadly poison ricin to the White House was arrested trying to enter the United States from Canada, two federal law enforcement officials said Sunday.
An FBI spokesperson confirmed the arrest and said the agency is continuing to investigate the suspicious letter.
A federal law enforcement official said the woman was taken into custody while traveling across Peace Bridge, which connects Fort Erie, Ontario, and Buffalo, New York.
Another federal law enforcement official said the suspect was detained by Customs and Border Protection agents. Additional information about the arrest and the suspect was not immediately available.
The FBI said Saturday that it was investigating a suspicious letter addressed to President Donald Trump that had been intercepted.
It wasn’t clear when the letter was sent or where it was intercepted. Law enforcement officials said Saturday that the poison, which is highly toxic and can cause organ failure and death, was detected at an off-site facility that screens mail addressed to the White House.
The ricin was confirmed in field and laboratory tests.
The suspect allegedly sent other letters to federal prisons that were discovered in different facilities, an official told NBC News Saturday. It wasn’t immediately clear which prisons the letters were sent to or who the recipients were.
The official said only one letter appeared to be addressed to a political figure.
Pete Williams and Michael Kosnar reported from Washington and Tim Stelloh from California.
A piece of history is up for sale: the Massachusetts mansion alleged ax murderer Lizzie Borden owned and died in is listed on Zillow.
The nearly 4,000 square-foot Maplecroft mansion built in 1887 in Fall River was posted on Zillow in late August. The house Borden and her sister Emma lived in together, which has six fireplaces, seven bedrooms, and three and-a-half bathrooms, is listed for $890,000.
“Presenting Maplecroft — the Queen Anne Victorian Mansion that once belonged to Lizzie Borden, who was accused and acquitted of the brutal ax murders of her father and Stepmother,” the listing, posted on Zillow by Suzanne St. John, says. “This was her final resting place that she lived in until her death, NOT the house where the murders happened.”
This is the second time in three years Maplecroft has been on the market, according to Boston Magazine. Previous owner Kristee Bates bought the house in 2014 and restored it, hoping to turn it into a bed and breakfast, before putting it up for sale in 2017, the magazine reported.
Donald Woods and Lee-ann Wilber bought it in 2018 for $600,000, The Herald News reported.
Woods and Wilber own and operate the nearby Lizzie Borden Bed & Breakfast Museum — where the homicides took place in 1892, according to the Herald. They bought Maplecroft with the intention of turning it into a B&B but after spending $250,000 to update the house, the city asked them to make more changes to comply with accessibility regulations, the newspaper said.
Woods and Wilber appealed the city’s decision to the Massachusetts Architectural Access Board of Building Regulations and Standards because they wanted to preserve the house’s historical integrity. But after the coronavirus pandemic entered the picture, they decided to sell, local media reports say.
The mansion will come “fully furnished with exceptional period pieces that speak to the very special past inhabitants of this home,” according to the Zillow listing.
Borden and her sister bought the 14-room mansion in 1893 after she was acquitted, the Herald reported. Borden’s sister moved out in 1905 but Borden spent the remainder of her life there until she died in 1927, according to the Herald.
Borden’s wake was held inside the house as well, the Herald reported. Borden’s sister died just days after her, according to the newspaper.
Jerry Pacheco, operations manager for the Borden B&B and museum, says the mansion offers a truly haunting experience, Boston Magazine reported.
MEDINA, Ohio — Following up on several tips, Medina Police detectives have arrested 23-year-old Tristan Rosen, of Akron, in connection with a June 6 fire at the building housing city’s “Santa House” Christmas display.
Medina Police and Medina Fire Department personnel responded to the fire call at 410 E. Smith Road at approximately 11:20 p.m. June 6. The fire was brought under control, but not before the building and all of its contents was destroyed. The complete loss was valued at more $100,000.
The city-owned storage barn contained the Santa’s House, a decorative box trailer used during the annual Medina Candlelight Walk festivities.
The fire was almost immediately classified as “suspicious” by the fire department. Tips led police to name Rosen as a suspect and, according to a Sept. 8 Medina Police Department release, “throughout the investigation, detectives discovered additional evidence to support Rosen’s responsibility in setting the fire.”
The release went on to state that Rosen admitted to setting the fire in subsequent interviews with detectives. Rosen was arrested Sept. 3 and charged with aggravated arson, a felony of the first degree, and arson, a felony of the fourth degree.
Rosen remains incarcerated at the Medina County Jail pending trial.
Dalen Eliase Gaines, a 23-year-old Sipsey man, was taken into custody in Walker County. He is charged with capital murder in the Aug. 26 slaying of Brandon Thomas.
The shooting happened at 12:08 a.m. that Wednesday in the 6500 block of Snowville-Brent Road in Dora. Jefferson County sheriff’s Sgt. Joni Money said multiple shots were fired while Thomas was cooking. A vehicle then sped away from the scene.
Thomas woke up other family members in the home and told them he’d been shot. He was then taken to Walker Baptist Medical Center in Jasper where he was pronounced dead at 1:22 a.m.
Money said sheriff’s investigators obtained the warrant against Gaines on Sept. 4. The suspect and the victim knew each other and hung out with the same group of friends. A motive has not been disclosed.
On Monday, the Walker County Sheriff’s Office received a tip from a citizen that Gaines was at a location in west Jasper. Deputies and Jasper police took him into custody without incident.