Police set up tent in garden of Steven Clark’s parents after pair were arrested

Police have set up a tent in the back garden of Steven Clark’s elderly parents’ home after the pair were arrested over their missing son’s murder. 

Steven Clark went to visit the toilet while on a family walk near Saltburn Pier in Cleveland in December 1992 but was never seen again.

His parents Doris and Charles, who live in Marske-by-the-Sea, Cleveland, this week confirmed they had been arrested on suspicion of his murder, with his mother describing the situation as ‘absolutely ludicrous’.

Police made the arrests following a cold case review and specialist officers began their investigations in the back garden of the couple’s home on Friday. 

This morning five police cars and vans, a crime scene investigation vehicle and an incident command unit could be seen parked outside the semi-detached house.

A cordon was place across a public footpath that runs down the side of the house on Coast Road in the town. And a police tent could seen in the rear garden.  

A police tent was erected in the back garden of Steven Clark's parents' home as officers continue to investigate his suspected murder

A police tent was erected in the back garden of Steven Clark’s parents’ home as officers continue to investigate his suspected murder

Police believe believe that Steven has come to serious harm and a murder inquiry has been launched. His parents - Doris, 81, and Charles Clark, 78 - were arrested on suspicion of murder

Police believe believe that Steven has come to serious harm and a murder inquiry has been launched. His parents – Doris, 81, and Charles Clark, 78 – were arrested on suspicion of murder

Steven left his home in Marske for on a family walk before using the gents' public toilets near the pier on the promenade at Saltburn, Cleveland, while his mother went into the ladies'

Steven left his home in Marske for on a family walk before using the gents’ public toilets near the pier on the promenade at Saltburn, Cleveland, while his mother went into the ladies’

It comes after police asked an anonymous letter writer, who contacted officers in September 1999, to get in touch again.  

Police said their records showed the letter was assessed by officers and the information was recorded. However, the force is refusing to reveal the content of the letter or why it is now seen as important more than 20 years after it was sent.  

As a result of this, and due to there being no proof of life, detectives believe that Steven has come to serious harm and a murder inquiry has been launched.

Steven vanished mysteriously on Monday, December 28, 1992 in Saltburn. A missing persons report said that he was last seen at 3pm. 

The 23-year-old, who lived in nearby Marske, was said to have gone into a public toilet while his mother went into the ladies. He was not seen coming out of the gents on the town’s seaside promenade, and did not return home. 

Over the years his parents made several appeals for information in trying to find their son. But this week  Steven’s elderly parents – Doris, 81, and Charles Clark, 78 – have confirmed they were arrested on suspicion of murder.  

Ms Clarke said: ‘It’s just absolutely ludicrous. There’s nothing more to say, it’s surreal.’Asked if they denied murdering their son, she replied: ‘Absolutely, yes.

‘It’s just too hard to believe really, but we have to believe it and suffer the consequences.’ She said being on bail was ‘horrendous’, adding: ‘There’s nothing

Read more

Local Eats: Nipote’s Italian Kitchen offers 24 Italian wines to pair with classic food

MUSKEGON, MI – Jeff Church says that visitors to his restaurant often tell him that it’s a ‘hidden gem.’

“But we’re a bright yellow building in a shipping container, so I don’t know,” the owner and chef at Nipote’s Italian Kitchen told MLive in a recent interview.

The unique downtown structure opened to the public in July, 2019, offering a range of Italian favorites, from appetizers like bruchetta, caprese salads and garlic shrimp, to salads, soups, paninis, chicken cacciatore, eggplant parmesan, and, of course, pastas.

There is also a full bar, including a rotating list of 24 Italian wines.

It has been a year full of “ups and downs” for the business, located at 98 W. Clay Ave., Church said, as they went from bright and busy beginnings to shutting down for three months during the height of the coronavirus pandemic.

RELATED: Shipping container restaurant ‘swamped’ during 1st week in downtown Muskegon

Business is picking back up, Church said, and while it’s “not back to where we should be,” he is optimistic after a beautiful summer that saw many customers out on the patio, even after plans to hold an anniversary celebration in July were dashed.

“Social distancing isn’t ideal for a social establishment, but there’s nothing we can do about it, so we’re rolling with the punches,” he said.

Church, a Reeths-Puffer grad and Muskegon native, said he’d opened the business – his first brick-and-mortar – inspired by family trips to Italy. He wants prospective customers to know that they are welcome regardless of whether they’ve had Italian food before, or whether cacciatore trips easily off their tongue.

“I get fresh food in every day, keep everything fresh, fun and approachable,” he said. “(I want customers) to not be intimidated by any Italian words that they might not be able to pronounce…we’re very casual.”

The restaurant can be reached at (231) 725-5100. It is open from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Tuesday through Thursday, 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Friday and Saturday and is closed on Sunday and Monday. Check out the menu here.

Visit the website for wine and dine events and other information.

Read more on MLive:

Mona Shores enjoys ‘absolutely amazing’ new soccer complex, even in defeat

Jill Biden focuses on veterans issues, food insecurity in West Michigan campaign swing

Loans available to small Muskegon-area businesses affected by coronavirus

Source Article

Read more