Hatton Garden Jewel Heist Ringleader Ordered To Pay Back ?6 Mn

The ringleader of the heist gang behind one of the biggest burglaries in English legal history has been ordered to pay back nearly ?6 million or serve an extra seven years in jail, police said on Thursday.

Michael Seed, 60, known as “Basil”, was jailed for 10 years in March 2019 over the 2015 Hatton Garden jewellery raid in the capital’s diamond district.

It netted ?13.7 million ($18.2 million) of gold, jewellery and precious stones.

A proceeds of crime hearing held in July has ruled that Seed must pay back ?5,997,664 ($7.7 million) within three months or see his sentence extended, a police statement said.

The alarm specialist evaded capture for three years following the daring burglary, in which the six-man gang used a diamond-tipped industrial drill to bore through a concrete vault wall over a long holiday weekend.

Detective Chief Inspector Mark Bedford of London’s Met Police said that to date just over a third of the property stolen in the Hatton Garden raid had been recovered and much of it returned to the victims.

When police raided Seed's flat, he was found breaking up gold ingots on a workbench in his bedroom When police raided Seed’s flat, he was found breaking up gold ingots on a workbench in his bedroom Photo: METROPOLITAN POLICE / HO

“Crime must not pay, and this should demonstrate the lengths we will go to ensure criminals are prevented from enjoying any financial benefit from criminality,” he said in a statement.

Seed was arrested at his flat in north London in 2018. Police found 933 items of jewellery stolen in the raid, including gold ingots he was breaking up on a workbench in his bedroom.

Alongside a smelting machine, police also found burglar alarm technical manuals and signal blockers for alarms.

Seed, who at the time of his arrest paid no taxes, claimed no benefits and rarely used a bank account, claimed he was an amateur jeweller who came by the stolen items innocently.

But a jury later found him guilty of conspiracy to burgle and of converting the proceeds of crime.

The audacious raid has since inspired several movies, including “King of Thieves” starring Michael Caine.

Prior to Seed, nine people had been convicted and imprisoned for crimes related to the heist, receiving sentences ranging from 18 months to seven years.

Source Article

Read more

Third trial ordered for New Zealand man found guilty of murdering Alberta wife in B.C.’s Interior

A third trial will be held for a former New Zealand man found guilty of the first-degree murder of his Canadian wife while the pair vacationed in B.C.’s Southern Interior 10 years ago.

British Columbia’s highest court says a new trial should be held for Peter Beckett because the trial judge was wrong to admit certain evidence and the Crown’s submissions to the jury were improper.

Read more:
Jail house snitch testifies in Kelowna trial of man accused of murdering his wife

Beckett, now in his mid-60s, was charged with the murder of his wife, Laura Letts of Alberta, when she drowned as the couple boated on Upper Arrow Lake near Revelstoke in August 2010.

The pair was on vacation from their home near Westlock, located about 85 kilometres north of Edmonton.

Story continues below advertisement

Beckett’s first trial ended with a hung jury and his second trial concluded in 2017 with the guilty verdict.


Click to play video 'Closing arguments wrap up in Kelowna for man accused of drowning his wife'



Closing arguments wrap up in Kelowna for man accused of drowning his wife


Closing arguments wrap up in Kelowna for man accused of drowning his wife

But the B.C Court of Appeal says the finding was not completely unreasonable — so rather than order an acquittal, it has sent the matter for a third trial, with a date still to be determined.




© 2020 The Canadian Press


Source Article

Read more

White House ordered to provide sign language interpreters for coronavirus briefings in ‘historic win’

A federal judge on Wednesday ruled that the White House must provide sign language interpreters during public coronavirus briefings starting Oct. 1. 

A U.S. district judge in Washington, D.C., ordered the White House to include a qualified American Sign Language interpreter for any news conference related to coronavirus matters conducted by the president, vice president or White House press secretary held on White House grounds or any federal agency. 


Our country is in a historic fight against the Coronavirus. Add Changing America to your Facebook or Twitter feed to stay on top of the news.


The ruling says the interpreter could be in the frame physically near the speaker, or off-site using the picture-in-picture feature. The White House is required to make the interpreter feeds accessible online and on television. 

The order stems from a lawsuit filed against the White House by the National Association of the Deaf (NAD) and five deaf plaintiffs. The group argued the lack of a sign language interpreter during briefings on the pandemic was a violation of the First Amendment as deaf and hard-of-hearing people are not getting proper access to crucial health information. 

The court issued an opinion earlier this month stating the plaintiffs were entitled to some relief. 

“Closed captioning and transcripts may constitute a reasonable accommodation under some circumstances, but not here,” U.S. District Judge James E. Boasberg wrote in a preliminary ruling on Sept. 9. 

NAD CEO Howard A. Rosenblum applauded the judge’s decision Wednesday. 

“Sign language and accurate captioning are both essential and crucial to ensuring all deaf and hard of hearing people are well informed and are able to make better decisions on how to stay safe from the pandemic,” he said. “The judge’s order sets a great precedent to achieve this goal of full accessibility.”

The Trump administration kicked off daily coronavirus press briefings that included the coronavirus task force as the epidemic in the country began to escalate. The administration has since pulled back on daily briefings and has instead opted for occasional news conferences that largely only include President Trump.


READ MORE STORIES ABOUT THE CORONAVIRUS

CDC SAYS NEARLY 11,000 PEOPLE MAY HAVE BEEN EXPOSED TO COVID-19 ON FLIGHTS

US HITS CORONAVIRUS DEATH TOLL OF 200,000

FAUCI: THE COUNTRY’S ‘DIVISIVE STATE’ IS HARMING EFFORTS TO STOP COVID-19

WHEN IS THE BEST TIME TO GET YOUR FLU SHOT?

HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOU HAVE COVID-19 AND NOT THE FLU?


 

Source Article

Read more

Go Now evacuation ordered for Garden Valley Road area

Register-Guard

A prompt response from the Goshen Fire District and a timely assist from Mother Nature in the form of torrential rain helped stop a fast-moving grass fire that prompted a Level 3 evacuation order Wednesday.

The fire, which started around 5 p.m. Wednesday, was fully contained and evacuations cleared by 9 p.m., according to information provided by Pleasant Hill Goshen Fire & Rescue Fire Chief Andrew Smith.

Estimated to be between 6 and 8 acres in size, the fire only damaged one small outbuilding, Smith said. No homes were lost.

The responding fire fighters did receive air support from the nearby Holiday Farm Fire, which Smith said was instrumental in stopping the forward progress of the fire. Multiple ground resources also contributed to the swift response, he said.

Rain will continue to help with any lingering hot spots Wednesday, however there is a very firm perimeter, Smith said in the release.

The fire call came in at at 5:15 p.m. for the 34900 block of Seavey Loop Road, according to the computer assisted dispatch (CAD).

The fire appeared to have started along Seavey Loop Road, with westerly winds spreading fire in dry grass. People in the area reported seeing flames as high as 40 feet.

The Level 3 “go now” evacuation  notice was issued a little after 6 p.m. for Garden Valley Road area from Garden Valley Road to Drummond Drive near Mt. Pisgah. Lane County canceled the evacuation order at about 6:45 p.m., telling residents they could return home.

The scene was cleared a little after 8 p.m. Wednesday, according to dispatch records.

The cause of the fire is under investigation, Smith said.

Source Article

Read more

White House ordered to make live sign language interpretation during coronavirus briefing available to TV networks

A federal judge on Wednesday ordered the White House to include a sign-language interpreter in its video feed of coronavirus briefings beginning October 1.



a woman looking at the camera: White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany speaks during a briefing in the Brady Briefing Room of the White House in Washington, DC on September 16, 2020.


© Mandel Ngan/AFP/Getty Images
White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany speaks during a briefing in the Brady Briefing Room of the White House in Washington, DC on September 16, 2020.

The order means live video feeds available to TV networks will also now include American Sign Language interpretation.

“Defendants shall include a qualified ASL interpreter in the … feed for all White House coronavirus briefings,” DC District Court Judge James Boasberg wrote, either by putting an interpreter physically near whomever is speaking or by including within the frame a video of an interpreter located elsewhere.

If the latter, the White House will make footage of the remote interpreter available in a way that “allows the networks to include the qualified ASL interpreter in their live broadcasts,” Boasberg added.

The news follows a lawsuit filed by the National Association of the Deaf and five deaf Americans last month attempting to force President Donald Trump and other top officials to have American Sign Language interpreters at Covid-19 briefings. Boasberg had previously indicated earlier this month that the White House might have to do so.

NAD CEO Howard Rosenblum told CNN that Wednesday’s order “sets a great precedent to achieve this goal of full accessibility.”

“Sign language and accurate captioning are both essential and crucial to ensuring all deaf and hard of hearing people are well informed and are able to make better decisions on how to stay safe from the pandemic,” he said in a statement.

In their lawsuit filed last month, the plaintiffs alleged that the lack of live sign language interpretation at White House coronavirus briefings was against the law.

“By contrast (to written captions), an interpreter is able to convey tone and context of a message through facial expressions, sign choice, and demeanor,” the lawsuit said. “Further, the provision of live closed captioning frequently contains errors and omissions that make it difficult or impossible for (deaf and hard of hearing) individuals to understand the information being provided in the briefings, particularly if they are not fluent in English.”

Plaintiffs pointed out that governors in all 50 states have provided in-frame ASL interpretation during their public briefings on coronavirus.

“President Trump, however, does not,” the lawsuit said. “He now stands alone in holding televised briefings regarding the Covid-19 pandemic without ever having provided any ASL interpretation.”

According to court documents, since March, Trump and the coronavirus task force have not been seen with an ASL interpreter while addressing the American people during the pandemic, though the Trump administration has used interpreters in past briefings, including for hurricanes.

The federal government’s National Council on Disability and some members of Congress had already written to the White House requesting it add ASL interpreters. The US Census Bureau estimates that about 11.5 million Americans have some degree of hearing loss.

This story has been updated with additional information

Read more