House Lawyer Says Trump’s Census Order Breaks With History | Political News

By MIKE SCHNEIDER, Associated Press

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — President Donald Trump’s directive to exclude people in the U.S. illegally from being counted when the number of congressional seats in each state is determined is an unlawful order and following it would break with almost 250 years of history, an attorney for the U.S. House of Representatives told judges Tuesday.

But attorneys for the Trump administration told a panel of three federal judges in the District of Columbia that the president has the discretion to decide who is considered an inhabitant of the U.S. for the purposes of determining how many congressional seats each state gets, a process known as apportionment.

Tuesday’s court arguments were part of the latest hearing over the legality of Trump’s July memorandum. Arguments already have made heard in federal cases in Maryland and New York, where a three-judge panel blocked the presidential order earlier this month, ruling it was unlawful.

The New York judges’ order prohibits Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross, whose agency oversees the U.S. Census Bureau, from excluding people in the country illegally when handing in 2020 census figures used to calculate apportionment. The Trump administration has appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court.

But the New York judges didn’t rule on the constitutionality of the memorandum, merely saying it violated federal laws on the census and apportionment, leaving open the door for the judges in the nation’s capital to rule on other aspects of the president’s memorandum. Other lawsuits challenging the memorandum have been filed in California, Maryland and Massachusetts.

One of the aspects the judges indicated they may consider is whether the Census Bureau will have to use statistical sampling to determine how many people are in the country illegally since there is no citizenship question on the 2020 census that could help answer that. The Supreme Court has ruled that statistical sampling can’t be used for the apportionment count.

To help figure find out that number, Trump issued another memorandum last year, directing the Census Bureau to use federal and state administrative records to find out the citizenship status of every U.S. resident. The Census Bureau hasn’t yet made public how it will use those records to come up with a method for answering that question.

Under questioning from the federal judges, federal government attorney Sopan Joshi said the Census Bureau had no intention of using statistical sampling.

The Washington lawsuit was brought by a coalition of cities and public interest groups, who argued the president’s order was part of a strategy to enhance the political power of Republicans and non-Hispanic whites. The U.S. House of Representatives later offered its support on behalf of the plaintiffs.

The Trump administration on Tuesday asked that the lawsuit be dismissed, saying it was premature since it’s impossible to know who will be affected by the exclusion order before the head count is finished and whether the Census Bureau will come up with a method for figuring out who is a citizen.

But Gregory Diskant, an

Read more

Interior awards its last major EIS task order for $483M

Written by

Dave Nyczepir

The Department of the Interior has largely finished the procurement portion of its transition to the new, governmentwide contract for information technology and telecommunications, following the award of a nearly $483 million voice services task order.

Interior awarded the task order covering telephone and conferencing services to the economically disadvantaged, women-owned small business Core Technologies under the $50 billion Enterprise Infrastructure Solutions contract on Sept. 17.

The department was only 33% of the way toward transitioning off the expiring Networx contract by the General Services Administration‘s deadline of Sept. 30, 2022, as of early August but can now focus on fully on modernization.

Interior awarded Core Technologies a $1.6 million EIS task order for telecom support for the Council of the Inspectors General on Integrity and Efficiency on Aug. 28. Together the two task orders represent Core Technologies’ first under EIS.

The department’s largest task order was a $1.6 billion award to CenturyLink for core network services and access services like Wi-Fi in January.

Source Article

Read more

A time for waiting in the garden: Evaluate caladiums, watch camellias and order bulbs | Home/Garden

EVALUATE CALADIUMS: When the plants begin to look tired and less attractive, and about two-thirds of the leaves have fallen over, it’s time to dig the tubers. Caladiums may return the next year if left in the ground, but it is more reliable to dig them and store them indoors over the winter. Dig the tubers carefully, leaving the foliage attached. Spread out in a well-ventilated area to dry. When the foliage is dry and brown, remove it from the tubers and store them in paper or net bags indoors over the winter.

WAITING FOR CAMELLIAS: Camellia flower buds are starting to swell but generally will not bloom until November or December. Water now if weather is dry to prevent problems with blooming later on.

ORDER BULBS: Order spring bulbs in time for them to arrive in November. The best selection of bulbs is found at mail order companies online. A good selection is also readily available now in local nurseries. You can purchase them while the selection is still good, but there is no hurry to plant them. November is the month we plant most spring bulbs here.

WATER: September weather has been relatively dry, and October is often one of our drier months. Be sure to check lawns, shrubs, flowerbeds and vegetable gardens regularly. When the soil is dry down several inches and/or plants show slight drought stress, water deeply and thoroughly as needed.

We’re fortunate that predicted high winds and rainfall from Hurricanes Laura and Sally did not materialize. We can’t let our guard down now, h…



Dan Gill's mailbag: It takes a little work to keep composting pile in balance; don't eat palm fruit

I am doing my best to compost, but the materials I have available are oak and maple leaves during the fall and spring and plenty of grass clip…



Weeds dropping seeds; trees and shrubs dropping leaves as weather starts to cool a bit

WEED SEEDS: Many summer weeds are setting seeds now. Do not let this happen! Pull these weeds and dispose of them to reduce weed problems next…

Dan Gill is a retired consumer horticulture specialist with the LSU AgCenter. He hosts the “Garden Show” on WWL-AM Saturdays at 9 a.m. Email gardening questions to [email protected]

Source Article

Read more

Interior awards $482M EIS task order — FCW

Acquisition

Interior awards $482M EIS task order

communications (windwheel/Shutterstock.com) 

On Sept. 17, the Department of the Interior’s Office of the CIO inked a $482 million task order for telephony and conferencing services under the GSA’s Enterprise Infrastructure Solutions (EIS) contract with Norcross, Ga.-based Core Technologies.

The contract was awarded by the Interior Department’s Business Center, through its Acquisition Services Directorate.

The contract with Core also marks another major EIS commitment for the Interior Department. Last winter, the agency signed a $1.6 billion task order with CenturyLink for managed core network services and managed access services. On July 30, the Interior Department awarded Verizon a $147 million task order to provide network transport services for the Bureau of Indian Affairs’ education network.

The Interior Department awarded the Core contract after a full and open competition, and not through a set-aside, according to contracting documents.

Core is one of the three small business contractors on EIS, categorized as an economically disadvantaged woman-owned small business.

The other two small business EIS contractors are MetTel and Microtech.

About the Author


Mark Rockwell is a senior staff writer at FCW, whose beat focuses on acquisition, the Department of Homeland Security and the Department of Energy.

Before joining FCW, Rockwell was Washington correspondent for Government Security News, where he covered all aspects of homeland security from IT to detection dogs and border security. Over the last 25 years in Washington as a reporter, editor and correspondent, he has covered an increasingly wide array of high-tech issues for publications like Communications Week, Internet Week, Fiber Optics News, tele.com magazine and Wireless Week.

Rockwell received a Jesse H. Neal Award for his work covering telecommunications issues, and is a graduate of James Madison University.

Click here for previous articles by Rockwell.

Contact him at [email protected] or follow him on Twitter at @MRockwell4.

Source Article

Read more

EPA postpones speaker series on racism after White House order

That includes anything “that teaches, trains or suggests the following: (1) virtually all White people contribute to racism or benefit from racism (2) critical race theory (3) white privilege (4) that the United States is an inherently racist or evil country (5) that any race or ethnicity is inherently racist or evil (6) Anti-American propaganda.”

POLITICO first reported last week that the Education Department is conducting a broad review of training materials, workshops and even employee book clubs pursuant to the OMB memo.

It also follows EPA Administrator Andrew Wheeler’s vow during a recent speech at the Nixon Library in California to heighten EPA’s focus on environmental justice in a second Trump term. Wheeler’s call for action would include greater coordination between EPA’s air, land and water offices to provide communities with a more holistic approach to environmental protection.

The Trump administration’s budgets have routinely called for slashing EPA’s environmental justice spending; this year’s proposal sought to cut $4.8 million of EPA’s $9.5 million environmental justice enforcement budget.

The hourlong EPA event, which was to have been held virtually on Tuesday afternoon, was part of a speaker series open to all EPA staff on “Structural Racism and Environmental Justice.” The series aimed to highlight “how addressing structural racism is indeed highly relevant to EPA’s mission and key to advancing the integration of EJ. The series will feature groundbreaking cutting-edge work in ways to better advance EJ by addressing structural racism.”

It would have featured Robert Nelson and LaDale Winling of the Mapping Inequality Project, a multi-university effort that visualizes how banks in the 1930s used the practice of “redlining” to keep white and black communities segregated, which has left a legacy that continues to influence the racial makeup of many communities.

Charles Lee, a senior EPA policy adviser for environmental justice, cited the OMB memo in a postponement notice sent to EPA staff and obtained by POLITICO

“Pursuant to the memorandum issued by OMB and with the expectation of more detailed guidance on implementation to be issued shortly, we are postponing this event for now,” he wrote. “Once EPA has received and had the chance to review this more detailed guidance, we will let you know about next steps regarding the EJ and Structural Racism series.”

EPA spokesperson James Hewitt said in a statement that EPA “put such training on hold” until it receives “greater clarification” from the White House.

Nelson told POLITICO in an email that he and Winling look forward to rescheduling the EPA session for a later date, and he rejected the White House’s argument that studying inequality is “un-American propaganda.”

“I think any efforts that aim to understand, explore, and act upon past injustices is exactly the opposite of ‘un-American,’ and I think I speak for all of my collaborators when I say we’re grateful that our historical work on redlining in the 1930s has been of interest and use to people doing important work like the staff of the EPA’s Office of Environmental Justice,” he

Read more

IHC issues stay order on Interior Ministry’s decision

Cynthia Ritchie had challenged interior ministry’s decision to deny her an extension and ordering her to leave the country within 15 days in the IHC on Saturday. Photo: File

ISLAMABAD: The Islamabad High Court (IHC) on Monday issued a stay order on US national Cynthia D Ritchie’s plea against the Interior Ministry’s decision to turn down a visa extension for the blogger.

Ritchie had petitioned the IHC on Saturday, challenging the interior ministry’s decision to deny her an extension and ordering her to leave the country within 15 days.

In the petition, the US national has nominated the interior secretary, deputy secretary and the director-general of the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) as respondents to the case.

She has argued that she fulfilled all legal obligations required of her in her visa application to ensure her continued stay in Pakistan, yet was turned down without explanation.

After hearing her arguments, IHC Chief Justice Athar Minallah stopped the Interior Ministry from deporting Ritchie and issued notices to the home ministry, the DG FIA and others.

The court also ordered the blogger to submit an affidavit detailing her allegations in the document.

“Visas of Pakistanis are denied every day and no reason is provided,” Justice Minallah remarked. He assured that the petitioner gets complete justice in the case.

The ministry, in an earlier response to the IHC, had stated that the American citizen’s visa had been extended twice during 2018-19 against the law.

It had mentioned that the blogger had applied for an extension in her work visa twice, but was instead given a business visa by the authority against the visa policy even though her company was not registered in Pakistan.

Source Article

Read more

IHC stays interior ministry order asking US blogger to leave Pakistan – Pakistan

The Islamabad High Court (IHC) on Monday stayed an interior ministry decision to deport US blogger Cynthia Ritchie and issued notices to the interior secretary and the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) director general.

The court also directed that Ritchie submit an affidavit detailing all her grievances before the next hearing before adjourning the case indefinitely.

On Saturday, Ritchie had filed a writ petition in the high court against the ministry’s decision to reject an extension in her visa, naming the FIA director general and the interior secretary as respondents.

In her plea, Ritchie said her request for a visa extension had been rejected despite providing all the relevant documents, adding that the interior ministry did not state the reasons for doing so either.

During today’s hearing, presided over by IHC Chief Justice Athar Minallah, the US blogger’s lawyer reiterated that the authorities concerned did not provide a reason for denying Ritchie a visa extension.

At this, Justice Minallah observed that numerous visas are rejected on a daily basis without an explanation.

When her lawyer questioned the law under which her request was denied, the judge replied that no law is required to reject a visa.

“A visa is not a basic right, it is a privilege,” the judge remarked. The court also asked whether Ritchie had any other complaints, to which she replied that two petitions were pending in the FIA.

In her petition with the IHC, Ritchie said her visa had expired and she had applied for a work visa with all the necessary documents.

“[But] due to the pandemic situation, the same could not be processed and the visas of all foreigners were extended by a general order, and the same premium was also afforded to the petitioner,” it said.

Ritchie said she had moved another application for a work visa due to a change of sponsor which was also not decided due to Covid-19, and was later “shocked” to receive a letter from the interior ministry stating that her visa application had been rejected.

She added that the interior ministry had earlier submitted its comments, during the hearing of a petition filed by an activist of the PPP, that Ritchie was not involved in “anti-state and illegal activity” in Pakistan.

“Further, while filing the visa application all the requirements of a work visa were complied with. Despite that, the visa application was rejected without affording any reasoning,” she said in her petition.

Source Article

Read more

House Insurance Deals Tips: 5 Things to Do In Order to Find Good, Affordable Home Insurance

Are you looking for more affordable home insurance? It’s really not as difficult as you might think to get house insurance deals. There are many companies out there, and it’s all a matter of finding the one that offers the best solution to fit your personal needs. With a bit of planning and forethought, you should be able to find an affordable solution.

Here are a few tips to help you get started:

1. Review your current policy. Take the time to review it at least once a year. You never know what kinds of changes can take place over the course of several months. For instance, the value of the home might have changed, for the better or worse. You might have more valuable contents inside the home, or maybe your yard was torn up by extreme weather. It’s important to check and see if these changes affect your policy to the point where you might want to consider getting a new one.

2. If you think you need a new policy, then compare quotes from multiple companies. It’s essential to shop around for the best policy for your needs. Don’t necessarily go with the cheapest rate since it might have hidden fees, and you might end up having to pay more money in the long run.

More Tips for House Insurance Deals

3. Do research on each and every company that offers house insurance deals. Which ones have high ratings with the Better Business Bureau? If there are any complaints, have they been resolved? Longevity is also important. It’s a good idea to go with a home insurance company that has been in business for many years – the longer, the better.

4. What are others saying about a particular company’s claims processing? Are a lot of users listing “fast and easy claims processing” as a pro in their reviews? Are there different options available, such as filing a claim online or via app? How fast does the company process the claims? You’ll obviously want to avoid any organization

5. Try your best to maintain a good credit score. Your credit score is an important factor in determining what kind of quotes and rates you are going to get. It will be difficult to get house insurance deals if you have poor credit. If your score is low, do whatever necessary to make improvements.

Which home insurance company should you consider? One place to begin your search for house insurance deals is with Lemonade. Most Lemonade Insurance reviews are extremely positive, and the company has transparent policies and fast claims processing.…

Read more