Family killed in Oxford A40 crash ‘were moving house’

Zoe Powell from Chinnor, Oxfordshire, with her husband Josh and their three children. (Sarah Mak Photography)
Zoe Powell from Chinnor, Oxfordshire, with her husband Josh and their three children. (Sarah Mak Photography)

A family who lost a mother and three children in a car crash near Oxford had recently moved because their house burned down, according to a report.

The four victims, named in the media as Zoe Powell, 29, daughters Amelia, four, and Phoebe, eight, and six-year-old son Simeon, all died in an incident on the A40 Monday evening.

Police said the collision involved their Subaru people carrier and a heavy goods vehicle.

Two other passengers in the Subaru, reported as Powell’s 30-year-old husband Josh and their 18-month old daughter, were taken to hospital in Oxford and are in a critical condition.

Thames Valley Police said the driver of the HGV, a 56-year-old man, suffered minor injuries.

Zoe Powell was named as a victim of the A40 crash. (Sarah Mak Photography)
Zoe Powell was named as a victim of the A40 crash. (Sarah Mak Photography)

The Sun reported that William Milroy, Zoe Powell’s father, said the family, who were living in Chinnor, Oxfordshire, had been moving from house to house but recently began renting a long-term place.

“They were going home. I don’t know where they had been but they had recently moved into a new rented house after theirs had burned down,” he said.

Zoe Powell ran a blog website about being a mother, oriented towards the mental health and wellbeing of mums.

A police witness appeal sign on the A40 near Oxford where a four-year-old girl, a six-year-old boy, an eight-year-old girl and a 29-year-old woman from Chinnor, Oxfordshire, died Monday night after a collision between a people carrier and a heavy goods vehicle.
A police witness appeal sign on the A40 near Oxford where a four-year-old girl, a six-year-old boy, an eight-year-old girl and a 29-year-old woman died. (PA)

She would write about coping when a child is ill, dealing with new challenges and promoting the use of a journal to record events and feelings.

The mother also made videos for Youtube in which she talked about writing down thoughts.

Police were called to the collision at 9.50pm on Monday, with emergency services arriving at what police described as “an extremely upsetting scene”.

Thames Valley Police’s Sergeant Dominic Mahon said: “We will leave no stone unturned to ascertain what has caused this tragedy.

The A40 near Oxford where a four-year-old girl, a six-year-old boy, an eight-year-old girl and a 29-year-old woman from Chinnor, Oxfordshire, died Monday night after a collision between a people carrier and a heavy goods vehicle.
An an aerial view of the A40, where the incident took place. (PA)
Damage to road barriers on the A40 near Oxford where a four-year-old girl, a six-year-old boy, an eight-year-old girl and a 29-year-old woman from Chinnor, Oxfordshire, died Monday night after a collision between a people carrier and a heavy goods vehicle.
Damage to road barriers on the A40. (PA)

“The next of kin of the family have been made aware and are being supported by specially trained family liaison officers.

“The thoughts of all of us at Thames Valley Police, along with our partners who have assisted at the scene or at the hospital, are with the families at this incredibly difficult time.”

He urged against speculating about what happened and asked for anyone who saw what happened to call 101 or make a report online using reference number 43200321914.

Chinnor Parish Council said on Facebook it was “saddened and shocked” by the crash and said a space for flowers to be laid has been made on the village high street.

Oxford City Council’s leader Susan Brown said is was “horrible, horrible news”.

Watch: How will England’s three-tier system work?

Source Article

Read more

White House moving forward on arms sales to Taiwan: Report

The White House is moving forward with three sales of advanced weaponry to Taiwan, sending, in recent days, notification of the deals to Congress for approval, five sources familiar with the situation told Reuters News Agency.



a group of people standing in front of a military vehicle: The truck-based rocket launcher, also known as High Mobility Artillery Rocket System (HIMARS), is made by the US arms dealer Lockheed Martin [File: Francis Malasig/EPA]


© The truck-based rocket launcher, also known as High Mobility Artillery Rocket System (HIMARS), is ma…
The truck-based rocket launcher, also known as High Mobility Artillery Rocket System (HIMARS), is made by the US arms dealer Lockheed Martin [File: Francis Malasig/EPA]

The move in the run-up to the November 3 US presidential election, first reported by Reuters, is likely to anger China, which considers Taiwan a renegade province that it has pledged to reunite with the mainland, by force if necessary.

Reuters broke the news in September that as many as seven major weapons systems were making their way through the US export process as the Trump administration ramps up pressure on China.

Asked for a response to Monday’s news, the Chinese embassy urged Washington in an emailed statement to stop arms sales to and military ties with Taiwan, “lest it should gravely harm China-US relations and cross-Strait peace and stability.”

In the emailed statement, an embassy representative said: “China consistently and firmly opposes US arms sales to Taiwan and has firm resolve in upholding its sovereignty and security.”

Leaders of the Senate Foreign Relations and House of Representatives Foreign Affairs committees were notified that three of the planned weapons sales had been approved by the US State Department which oversees Foreign Military Sales, the sources said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

The informal notifications were for a truck-based rocket launcher made by Lockheed Martin Corp called a High Mobility Artillery Rocket System (HIMARS), long-range air-to-ground missiles made by Boeing Co called SLAM-ER, and external sensor pods for F-16 jets that allow the real-time transmission of imagery and data from the aircraft back to ground stations.

Notifications for the sale of other weapons systems, including large, sophisticated aerial drones, land-based Harpoon anti-ship missiles and underwater mines, to deter amphibious landings, have yet to reach Capitol Hill, but these were expected soon, the sources said.

A State Department spokesman said: “As a matter of policy, the United States does not confirm or comment on proposed defence sales or transfers until they are formally notified to Congress.”

Congressional backing for Taiwan

The US Senate Foreign Relations and House of Representatives Foreign Affairs committees have the right to review, and block, weapons sales under an informal review process before the State Department sends its formal notification to the legislative branch.

Legislators, who are generally wary of what they perceive as Chinese aggression and supportive of Taiwan, were not expected to object to the Taiwan sales.

Taiwan’s representative office in Washington said it had no comment.

News that new arms sales were moving forward came after senior US officials last week repeated calls for Taiwan to spend more on its own defence and to carry out military reforms to make clear to China the risks of attempting

Read more

Kitchen of the Week: Couple moving out of carvavan into first home had kitchen budget less than $25k

This kitchen, designed by Melanie John of Cube Dentro for first-home owners moving into a new house, received the NKBA Kitchen Distinction Award for a kitchen under $25,000.

SUPPLIED

This kitchen, designed by Melanie John of Cube Dentro for first-home owners moving into a new house, received the NKBA Kitchen Distinction Award for a kitchen under $25,000.

The owners of this new house in Glenbrook, Auckland lived in a caravan for two years to save enough money for their first home.

And of course there was a tight budget when it came to the kitchen design, says Melanie John of Cube Dentro in Takanini. “Their budget was around $20,000, but the kitchen came in closer to $22,000. But they were very happy with it.”

And John was happy also to see her project win the NKBA Kitchen Distinction Award 2020 for a kitchen under $25,000.

Melanie John says she "future proofed" the house, providing more storage than the first-homeowners' current requirements.

SUPPLIED

Melanie John says she “future proofed” the house, providing more storage than the first-homeowners’ current requirements.

“In a simple kitchen, details matter,” the judges said. “This kitchen is the perfect example of why. The attention to detail has lifted the space, from the benchtop with the negative detail, through to the lining up of the fridge with the joinery. This is good value for the budget, with a fantastic execution of pallet and texture.”

READ MORE:
* New Zealand’s best kitchen and bathroom celebrated at 2020 NKBA awards
* Kiwi kitchens and bathrooms wow on the world stage in 2020
* Kiwi kitchen designers knock out the competition in London

John says the design brief from the young couple was quite different from the finished kitchen. “One of the owners is a draughtsman for the company that built the house, and he just gave us the standard spec-home plans with a spec kitchen.

‘THERE’S NO WAY WE’RE GOING TO GIVE YOU THAT’

“When they came in, I said there’s no way we’re going to give you that. You have come to us to design your kitchen, and we don’t do standard spec kitchens.

“His partner was thrilled to hear that, and they just said, ‘OK, for it’, so I had pretty much free rein. The kitchen did need to reflect the owners’ penchant for clean lines, attention to detail and balance, however.

Engineered stone benchtops wrap over the sides of the island, but don't extend far down.

SUPPLIED

Engineered stone benchtops wrap over the sides of the island, but don’t extend far down.

“It also needed to remain a practical space to work in as the clients start their journey on the property ladder. Because they had been living in the caravan, they didn’t have many items to bring into the kitchen, so we ‘future proofed’ it, providing plenty storage appropriate for the three-bedroom house – there’s a pantry with a benchtop on the right side for small appliances, and another large one next to the fridge.”

As the house is in a new coastal subdivision, the concept needed to reflect the light, bright, beachy surroundings.

“The challenge was to incorporate all of these requirements while delivering a space that conveyed a designer feel over “first home spec build”.

There is a large pantry at one end of the ktichen, plus further cupboard space next to the refrigerator.

SUPPLIED

There is a large pantry at one end of the ktichen, plus further cupboard space next to

Read more

Gran, 57, found dead in garden hot tub after moving to Wales to start dream life closer to her family

A GRAN was found dead in her hot tub after moving to Wales to start her dream life closer to her family.

Shopkeeper Mandy Pugh, 57, had enjoyed spending time in the garden tub with her husband Lee.

Mandy Pugh, pictured second from left, shut up her grocery shop to move 200 miles away with husband Lee before she was found dead in the couple's hot tub

3

Mandy Pugh, pictured second from left, shut up her grocery shop to move 200 miles away with husband Lee before she was found dead in the couple’s hot tubCredit: MEDIA WALES
Lee described his wife as "the life and soul of the party" as an inquest into her death opened

3

Lee described his wife as “the life and soul of the party” as an inquest into her death openedCredit: Wales News Service
The couple had moved to idyllic Porthcawl in Wales to be closer to family

3

The couple had moved to idyllic Porthcawl in Wales to be closer to familyCredit: Getty Images – Getty

But on the night of September 11, he went inside to watch TV.

He returned to discover his wife face-down in the water, an inquest heard today.

A coroner heard hardworking Mandy had recently moved to the seaside town of Porthcawl, South Wales, to be closer to family.

The couple had shut up the grocery shop they ran together in Penmaenmawr, North Wales, to make the 200-mile move.

Mandy was pronounced dead at the scene after the tragedy.

Husband Lee said: “At the start of the year we moved. We closed our shop we had kept as we wanted to be closed to family.

“She was the life and soul of the party.

“She knew loads of people and everyone that knew her loved her. She was always happy.

“Her granddaughter was the apple of her eye.”

No provisional cause of death was given in the post-mortem carried out by pathologist Jason Shannon.

Assistant coroner David Regan adjourned the inquest in Pontypridd, South Wales, until October next year.

Source Article

Read more

EastEnders star Natalie Cassidy shares moving garden tribute to late mum, who died when she was 19

EASTENDERS star Natalie Cassidy has shared a moving tribute she has in her garden for her late mum, who died when she was 19.

The 37-year-old star was left devastated when her mother Evelyn lost her battle with bowel cancer in 2002 at the age of 63.

Natalie opened up about her late mum in a moving post

4

Natalie opened up about her late mum in a moving post Credit: Getty Images

Taking to her Instagram page early this morning, the actress revealed that her brother had bought her a touching gift to remember their mum by for her 30th birthday.

The photo showed stunning flowers and green leaves growing over a block with Evelyn’s name written on it.

Natalie explained in the post’s caption: “This is our Evelyn Rose.

“My brother bought it for me for my 30th birthday. It’s 7 and a bit years old and has never looked better. My dad loves it and cares for it.

She shared a photo of the tribute she has to Evelyn in her garden

4

She shared a photo of the tribute she has to Evelyn in her gardenCredit: Instagram
She was just 19 years old when her mum passed away

4

She was just 19 years old when her mum passed away Credit: PA:Press Association

“I lost my mum when I was 19 – her name was Evelyn.”

She added how much she appreciated having something close by to remember her mum as her busy schedule sometimes stops her from getting to the cemetery.

The star wrote: “It’s nice to have something in your own space as well as a cemetery. Life is busy and you feel guilty for not going up there.”

Natalie previously admitted that she broke down over an EastEnders’ storyline about her onscreen mum Carol Jackson fighting cancer.

She admitted to struggling with the 'rawness' of onscreen mum Carol's cancer storyline

4

She admitted to struggling with the ‘rawness’ of onscreen mum Carol’s cancer storylineCredit: BBC
EastEnders’ Natalie Cassidy reveals co-star Steve McFadden refused to talk to her after she quit the soap

She plays Carol’s daughter Sonia in the BBC One soap, and the heartbreaking scenes brought back difficult memories for the star.

Natalie said at the time: “It’s all quite raw, there have been tears.”

She confessed that she “lost herself” after her mother’s death, but she didn’t seek help from a bereavement counsellor until she was hit by a second wave of grief when her “second mum” Wendy Richard, who played Pauline Fowler, died in 2009.

Natalie explained: “I hit rock bottom. I had to see someone about my mum, mistakes and regrets.”

Source Article

Read more

Moving Your Fish Tank Decorations To A Different Tank

There will come a time when you may need to move your fish tank decorations to a different aquarium. This could be for a variety of reasons, for example because the number of fish that you have has outgrown your current tank, or it could be that someone had given you some second hand aquarium decor that you would like to use. For whatever reason it is, you would need to follow some rules to ensure that the fish tank decor is safe to be used in your new tank.

Why All The Fuss About Transferring Aquarium Decor

Can’t we just remove the fish tank ornaments from one tank and just drop it into the other? Why is there such a fuss or need to have proper preparation? The main reason is microbes.

You see, your fish tank decor has been soaking in the tank water for a very long time. Even with the best cleaning schedule, these ornaments are perfect surfaces for breeding bacteria and fungus. This is especially true for tank accessories that have detailed carvings and rough surfaces. The cracks and gaps between the details make it very hard to properly clean and will allow the perfect hideaway for these microbes.

Taking out the decoration from the old tank and putting it into the new one without any preparation will cause these microorganisms to be transferred into the new tank. With the conditions in the new tank being just right, it will cause a bacterial bloom that will be very unhealthy for your fish.

Furthermore, if you have new fish in the new aquarium that has not been accustomed to the microbes from the old tank, they will definitely fall ill and die. So preparation is necessary when transferring the aquarium decor.

But bacteria isn’t the only worry here. There are also snails. While it is fairly easy to spot a snail sitting on one of the ornaments when you remove it from the water, their eggs are almost invisible to the naked eye. Without proper preparation, you would be introducing these snail eggs to the new tank and once they take hold of the tank, they are really hard to eliminate.

How To Properly Transfer Aquarium Ornaments

It really isn’t that hard to transfer tank decor the right way. The key idea here is to properly sanitize the accessories and ensure there are no microbial transference. Here’s what you need to do is steps:

  1. Remove the item from the old tank and give it a good rinse. You do this to dislodge any larger debris from it so that we can properly clean it later.
  2. Using a soft tooth brush, give the decor a good scrub. Keep in mind that the cracks and details of the ornament are ideal places for microbe colonies so give them a good scrub. Dip the decor in plain water from time to time to get rid of the stuff you scrubbed off. Do not use any form of soap or
Read more