A bipartisan delegation of governors speak to the media outside of the White House in Washington, DC on December 4, 2012, after meeting with President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden meet discuss the actions needed to keep our economy growing and find a balanced approach to reduce our deficit. Pictured (l-r) Gary Herbert (R-UT), Mary Fallin (R-OK), Scott Walker (R-WI), Mike Beebe (D-AR) and Jack Markell (D-DE). UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
Monday, 5th October 2020, 1:30 pm
Saturday Kitchen chef James Martin has quit social media after receiving backlash for his virtual cookalong event that was branded a “disaster” by attendees.
The This Morning chef says that he has been the target of “vile abuse” by those angry that they had experienced technical issues during the sold-out cooking masterclass.
Martin held a virtual cookery class on Saturday 3 October, which invited fans and foodies to create a three course meal alongside Martin during the 90-minute experience.
The menu was set to consist of a start of halloumi with chilli jam, a main course of chicken saute with vinegar and pilaf rice, and a dessert of a raspberry tart.
Tickets for the event had launched at 10am on Friday 11 September, and cost cookery fans £35 for the virtual masterclass – not including the individual cost for ingredients.
However, many attendees were left frustrated after technical issues left their screens frozen or unable to connect to the event.
Some of those who attended the event called it “a chaotic shambles” and a “complete disaster”, with many commenting that Martin moved through the cooking instructions too quickly.
Others questioned if the event itself was even live, stating that it was “clearly pre-recorded”.
What has James Martin said?
Taking to Twitter, the chef explained that he would be taking a break from social media following the online abuse he received after the show.
In a thread of tweets, Martin wrote: “Having seen some of the comments posted online regarding last night’s cook along and the anger towards me given the technical issues that the production team were having, I would like to apologise again for this and I will be chasing up with Live Nation, the production company IT team and all the people they hired, to find out the problem.
“Having said that, this is a small comfort to some of you online who are quite rightly angry at me. I promise I will be speaking to them tomorrow, I wasn’t involved in the IT side of things and know little about it, but will get all the issues raised and sorted as much as I possibly can immediately.
“It’s unfortunate they didn’t use my team that makes the Saturday show to do this but, as you can imagine, it was all out of my hands.
“To the rest of you who had a good night, thank you, but due to the large amount of vile comments posted directly towards me, this will be my last post as I will be taking a break from posting personally and all social media for the foreseeable future.”
Following his announcement that he would be departing from social media, fans of the Saturday Kitchen
Fox News White House correspondent John Roberts sent a clear message to the White House and Twitter users on Thursday to “stop blaming the media” for asking again if President Donald Trump will publicly condemn white supremacy.
Earlier in the day, Roberts asked White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany if Trump denounces such groups.
“I would like to ask you for a definitive and declarative statement without ambiguity or deflection. As the person who speaks for the president, does the president denounce white supremacy and groups that espouse it in all their forms?” he asked during a press briefing.
McEnany replied, “This has been answered. Yesterday by the president himself. The day before by the president himself on the debate stage. The president was asked this. He said, ‘sure’ three times. Yesterday, he was asked point blank, ‘Do you denounce white supremacy,’ and he said ‘I have always denounced any form of that.'”
While McEnany read previous quotes that she said indicated that Trump “has condemned white supremacy more than any other president in modern history,” Roberts pushed for her to make an explicit, clear statement that Trump denounces these individuals. McEnany argued she “just did.”
“For all of you on Twitter, who are hammering me for asking that question, I don’t care because it’s a question that needs to be asked and clearly, the president’s Republican colleagues a mile away from here are looking for an answer for it too,” Roberts said on Fox News. “Stop deflecting. Stop blaming the media. I’m tired of it.”
Trump’s response during Tuesday’s presidential debate has stirred confusion and controversy after the president was asked to condemn white supremacy on the national stage.
“Proud Boys—stand back and stand by. But I’ll tell you what, somebody’s got to do something about antifa and the left,” Trump replied.
His decision to not explicitly answer moderator Chris Wallace’s question has come under fire by a number of prominent Republicans.
Some GOP senators, including Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and Senator Lindsey Graham, have commented on the president’s remarks, calling on Trump to correct his statement while stating they personally denounce white supremacy.
When given the opportunity to do so, Trump said he did not know who the Proud Boys are.
“I don’t know who the Proud Boys are. You’ll have to give me a definition because I really don’t know who they are. I can only say they have to stand down and let law enforcement do their work,” he told reporters at the White House on Wednesday.
Roberts said the Trump’s additional
(Bloomberg) — The chief of the agency that oversees the Voice of America and other media organizations told the chairman of a congressional committee that subpoenaed him that he couldn’t appear because of a scheduling conflict.
Michael Pack, who earlier this year took charge of the U.S. Agency for Global Media, had angered both Democrats and Republicans on the Foreign Affairs Committee when he defied the subpoena to testify about changes at the agency.
In a letter to the panel’s chairman, Eliot Engel, on Wednesday, Pack said he was “disappointed to receive your subpoena” and “eager to testify.” He complained in the letter that the panel’s staff had refused to accept other dates.
“As we have repeatedly explained to the committee, USAGM has become preoccupied with a series of pressing and complex matters necessary to correct over a decade of systemic security failures. In view of these genuine and urgent conflicts, we requested a brief adjournment so that I may appear a few weeks later.”
Earlier: Trump Media Agency Chief to Defy Subpoena, Angering Republicans
He added that he “could not provide complete information concerning the pressing internal matters.”
He was originally scheduled to appear voluntarily on Thursday, and the committee issued the subpoena last week after he withdrew.
Engel, a New York Democrat, said Tuesday that it was Pack who had failed to provide alternative dates or offer an acceptable excuse.
Pack’s withdrawal also drew a strong statement from the committee’s ranking Republican, Representative Michael McCaul of Texas, who called for Pack to testify. In a sharply divided Congress, the bipartisan response was unusual, particularly with regard to pressing a Trump nominee to appear before a committee controlled by Democrats.
McCaul said that since being confirmed by the Senate in June, Pack had placed critical national security programs “in jeopardy” and that he “needs to come before this committee and explain those actions.”
In June, Pack dismissed the heads of four news organizations, including Radio Free Europe, as well as staff and governing board members at the Open Technology Fund, or OTF, an organization that promotes internet freedom abroad and receives grant money from the Agency for Global Media. McCaul was one of the lead authors of a measure that would establish the OTF as an independent grantee of the agency.
Earlier: Trump Nominee to Lead U.S. Media Agency Gets Committee Approval
Pack’s nomination by President Donald Trump drew heated opposition from Senate Democrats, both for his association with former Trump campaign and White House adviser Steve Bannon, but also over unresolved questions about his business dealings while running an nonprofit media organization called the Public Media Lab. The attorney general of the District of Columbia is investigating the organization for unlawful use of funds.
For more articles like this, please visit us at bloomberg.com
©2020 Bloomberg L.P.
Sept. 19 (UPI) — House Foreign Affairs Chairman Eliot Engel has subpoenaed U.S. global media chief Michael Pack amid fears of bias.
Democrats fear Pack, the CEO of the U.S. Agency for Global Media since June, an appointee of President Donald Trump, and close ally of former Trump aide Steve Bannon, will move to reshape the leadership and independence of news organizations, such as Voice of America, to be biased in favor of Trump.
The House Affairs panel called Pack to testify after a series of firings in June, Pack’s first month on the job, including the heads of three international broadcast networks for Europe, the Middle East, and Asia. Critics fear Pack will jeopardize the independence of broadcast networks, charged with objectively reporting about the United States and its foreign policy to an international audience of 350 million people.
Engel, D-N.Y., said Friday Pack planned to back out on his commitment to appear at a Sept. 24 hearing.
“His office failed to provide any reasonable alternative dates and his excuse for breaking his commitment is not acceptable,” Engle said in a statement.
Pack has insisted the firings were a routine part of new leadership at the organization and a U.S. Agency for Global Media spokesperson said Friday that Pack couldn’t attend due to a scheduling conflict.
“Michael Pack is disappointed that the Committee has decided to escalate the situation,” the spokesperson said in a statement. “Pack is eager to testify before the Committee to talk about the critical work of USAGM and to answer members’ questions.”
Senate Republicans pushed through the conservative filmmaker’s confirmation to the U.S. Agency for Global Media back in June despite objections from Democrats, who said that the process should be stalled pending the District of Columbia attorney general’s investigation into whether he illegally funneled money from his nonprofit group to his for-profit film company.
A two-bedroom, two-bathroom condo in Lake Worth, Florida, is on sale for just $100,000 — but it requires a very, very specific buyer.
Why? Well, the walls of the “social media-worthy” condo are covered almost entirely in empty cans of Budweiser.
Whoever the current owner and seller of this condo is clearly has a thing for the American-style pale lager. Every single room, save for one ordinary bathroom, is decorated floor-to-ceiling with cans of Budweiser.
Though it’s impossible to ignore the beer cans everywhere, whoever the listing agent is for the condo did their best to make them sound appealing rather than alarmingly confusing.
“Entering the spacious 2BR/2BA corner-unit condo, you immediately reminisce of long road trips and the inevitable belting out of the beloved song, ’99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall!’” the listing says. “Budweiser’s biggest fan meticulously adorned the walls and ceilings with Budweiser beer cans to display and showcase their intense love for one of America’s favorite domestic brews! Whether you keep the current décor for your Youtube beer show or decide to renovate the home, this property offers tons of entertainment potential!”
Despite the agent’s best efforts, though, most people on social media still seem to find the boozy condo rather … odd.
“Just because you can doesn’t mean you should,” one person joked about the unusual decor.
“I was wondering why it was 100k and then I looked at the interior dear GOD,” another user added.
“I’d lock myself in the bathroom and never come out,” a third person remarked.
Some savvy social media users, however, see the $100,000 condo covered in empty cans as a worthy investment opportunity, especially seeing as the cans can be recycled for a pretty penny.
“Think of all the money you could get turning those cans in,” one person remarked. “The house pays for itself.”
“I’m not sure, but I think you could pay this house off by just recycling all the cans,” another user added.
So, who’s brave enough to take the plunge and buy the beer house?
Snag a 30-day free trial of Kindle Unlimited:
If you enjoyed this story, check out this “skinny” house with absurd proportions that went viral on TikTok.
More from In The Know:
This “run-down” house with no bathrooms is on sale for nearly $600,000
See inside this customized tiny home that’s complete with a patio and garden
Amazon’s best-selling seat cushion has done wonders for my bum while WFH
Subscribe to our daily newsletter to stay In The Know
The post This Florida condo is a beer lover’s dream appeared first on In The Know.
The longest running peril of social media continues to be the omnipresent misperception of those around you based on their own “selective sharing.” It is easy to draw comparisons from snapshots and forget the path you are on — or figuring out — when beauty surrounds every other profile and fills your screen.
But perhaps we have been wrong about this from the beginning; perhaps the misperception is on us not them. Perhaps we have spent all these years missing an opportunity staring at us from perfectly smiling faces in perfectly manicured homes: not to succumb to jealousy or comparison or entitlement, but instead to choose to be inspired.
Snapshots — single photos that show off just a snippet within a larger, unseen context — inundate almost every social media platform. They also offer wonderful design opportunity insights for smaller scale spaces and updates. Best of all, they are something you can tackle in an evening, often without any incurred costs.
Snapshots on social media today are, in reality, visual “vignettes”: small, evocative descriptions. And designing vignettes into your own space is easy and achievable, especially when you are surrounded by inspiration.
Take a snapshot you want to use as inspiration and break it down to its core elements. First, what drew you to it? Avoid specifying objects: Instead, describe them.
For example, a beautiful vase on a table might break down to a large object that introduces contrast in bold colors and is centered on a small platform that brings focus and intention to its placement on the table. The former description is focused on a single object and rooted material acquisition. The latter extrapolates the design elements from a compositional perspective and gives much greater latitude for your own expression: You are no longer dependent on that vase to achieve what you see in the snapshot. (The reverse also holds true: This is why just buying that vase and putting it in your home may not look as good as its snapshot vignette did.)
Now apply this idea to a more complex snapshot you may see across social media, one that is more likely to evoke a feeling from you. A cozy backyard patio ready to entertain looks warm and inviting — a party underway looks fun and exciting. Break them down into core elements: Why does the space look cozy instead of just small? What about it feels inviting, or fun or exciting? Spatially analyze the vignette that inspires you so you can apply it in your own context. Maybe clearing out and rearranging your own patio (or apartment balcony or window nook) to just a few key elements scaled to fit — a place to sit, a surface to hold what you need, decorative lighting, a splash of color — is the key to your own transformation.
Vignettes should not be limited to visual appeal, though. Especially when “atmosphere” is a part of the inspiring snapshot, analyze based on the five senses. You can break