People in the GOP, White House, and Trump’s campaign increasingly think they will lose the White House, and maybe the Senate too, reports say



graphical user interface, application: President Donald Trump speaks from the Blue Room of the White House on Octover 10, 2020. Jabin Botsford/The Washington Post via Getty Images


© Jabin Botsford/The Washington Post via Getty Images
President Donald Trump speaks from the Blue Room of the White House on Octover 10, 2020. Jabin Botsford/The Washington Post via Getty Images

  • Republicans and White House officials fear that President Donald Trump is headed for defeat, according to a series of recent reports.
  • Some fear the GOP could lose control of the Senate in a “blue wave” of Democratic votes on November 3.
  • The gloom from Republicans seems supported by polling data, which paints an increasingly negative picture for Trump.
  • Trump’s much criticised performance in his debate with Joe Biden and, his behavior when diagnosed with COVID-19, are among factors said to be alienating voters. 
  • Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.

Fears are growing in the Republican Party and White House that Democratic nominee Joe Biden may be on course for a landslide presidential election victory, according to multiple reports. 

The weekend brought further gloomy polling data for the Trump campaign, with an ABC/Washington Post poll released Sunday showing that Biden has support of 53% of likely voters to Trump’s 41%.

The result matched trends in a series of other recent polls showing the president trailing Biden on average by 10 points or more. 

Swing state polls brought more bad news  — with Biden continuing to hold a lead in states that flipped to the Republicans in 2016: Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Michigan, according to data compiled by the New York Times.

Though the races in these states are tighter, Biden’s lead has been consistent. It led to a rash of bad headlines prompted by worried insiders:

  • Citing dozens of White House and Trump campaign officials, the Associated Press reported on Monday the fear that Trump’s widely criticised first debate performance with Biden and erratic response after being diagnosed with COVID-19 could see them lose not just the White House but also the Senate. 
  • NBC News on Friday reported that Republican donors and operatives worry a “blue wave” is coming. They are said to favor shifting resources from the presidential race — seen by some as a lost cause — to protecting vulnerable Congress seats. 
  • Texas GOP Senator Ted Cruz on Saturday warned that the GOP faced “a bloodbath of Watergate proportions” and could lose control of the Senate and White House if conditions are wrong come polling day.
  • Reuters also last week reported that the GOP was increasingly anxious that the Democrats are poised to seize control of the Senate. Trump’s coronavirus diagnosis was “the nail in the coffin; it’s all over” for the party’s hopes of defending its majority, a senior Senate Republican aide told the outlet. 

Though Trump’s prospects of victory may appear to be fading, some campaign officials believe the president will able to claw back ground this week, reported AP.

The Senate confirmation hearings of judge Amy Coney Barrett, which begin on Monday, are expected to take focus away from the pandemic and fire up conservatives.

Other officials hope that, as in 2016, pollsters are undercounting

Read more

Want to Lose Weight? A Kitchen Scale Might Be Your New Best Friend

Whether you love to bake or are looking to stick to a strict diet, ensuring the right amount of food is in your bowl or on your plate can be an important issue. One easy way to ensure you’ve got exactly what you want in front of you is to add a kitchen scale to your cooking routine.

Whether you prefer a more traditional analog option or a modern, electric version, kitchen scales provide a quick and easy way to measure the food you’re consuming. Weighing key ingredients precisely can be the difference between a beautiful cake which has risen to perfection and a batch of odd-tasting cookies that even the dog won’t touch. It can also be the difference between a healthy meal and one of indulgence.

We’ve put together a list of the best scale options available on Amazon. There’s an option for everyone, with styles including classic analog options, advanced electronic scales and options that preach nutritional info, as well.

So, stop yourself from eating that extra gram of fat, and find the right scale for yourself ASAP.

  

1. Etekcity Food Digital Kitchen Weight Scale

BEST OVERALL

The Etekcity Food Digital Kitchen Weight Scale boasts over 7,000 five-star reviews from Amazon users happy with the scale’s style and performance. It allows you to choose between a range of weighing units, including grams, pounds and milliliters, and it features laminated buttons to ensure accidental spills aren’t a problem. The stainless steel finish adds a touch of class to any kitchen counter, while the internal, high precision sensors ensure you’re always accurately measuring your food items.



a close up of a car: kitchen scale etekcity, best kitchen scale


© Provided by SPY
kitchen scale etekcity, best kitchen scale

Buy: Etekcity Food Digital Kitchen Weight Scale $13.99

  

2. Greater Goods Digital Kitchen Scale

MOST STYLISH

With its sleek, stainless steel finish, this kitchen scale from the Greater Goods Store will look great on any kitchen counter and is very easy to clean. The rectangular-style scale provides precision weighing every time, and this option sports a long-lasting LCD display with easy-to-read digital numbers to prevent any mistakes during use. The large plate size makes it great for bakery measuring, and it’s simple to navigate thanks to the two marked buttons on either side of the LCD screen. Four precision sensors inside ensure accuracy when weighing and the scale calibrates automatically making it very easy to use. 



greater goods kitchen scale, best kitchen scale


© Provided by SPY
greater goods kitchen scale, best kitchen scale

Buy: Greater Goods Digital Kitchen Scale $18.95

  

3. American Weigh Scales Digital Scale

BEST POCKET OPTION

If you’re looking to weigh ingredients on the go, or like to double check you’re getting exactly what’s advertised on the packaging, the American AWS Series Digital Weight Scale is an ideal choice. This pocket-sized scale can fit in any bag for easy transporting. What’s more, this device still provides almost every benefit you get from any normal kitchen scale. The device features an auto-off, a tare feature and easy calibration, making

Read more

New York among three ‘anarchist’ cities named by White House to lose funds

Protests have been continuing in Portland, entering their third consecutive month in SeptemberImage copyright
Getty Images

Image caption

Protests have been continuing in Portland, entering their third consecutive month in September

The Trump administration has named three cities that are slated to lose federal funding after the White House accused them of tolerating crime.

New York City, Portland and Seattle are on the list of “anarchist cities” that Trump officials say have failed to stem crime linked to a summer of protests.

It follows a memo from Mr Trump earlier this month, threatening the move.

The mayors of the cities have promised to sue, calling Mr Trump’s move a political stunt.

A statement from the Justice Department on Monday laid out recent crime rates in the cities and how their police responded.

“We cannot allow federal tax dollars to be wasted when the safety of the citizenry hangs in the balance,” Attorney General William Barr said in the statement.

He also called on Portland, Seattle and New York City to “reverse course and become serious about performing the basic function of government and start protecting their own citizens”.

Image copyright
Getty Images

Image caption

Police cars in New York City were torched in May following the death of George Floyd

All three cities have seen major protests since the death of unarmed black man George Floyd in May.

It remains unclear what federal funding may be cut from the cities.

In a joint statement, the mayors of Portland, Seattle, New York and Washington DC – which was on a shortlist of “anarchist cities” but was not included in Monday’s decision – accused Mr Trump of “playing cheap political games with congressionally directed funds”.

The mayors called the decision “thoroughly political and unconstitutional” and accused the Trump White House of “shirking responsibility and placing blame elsewhere to cover its failure”.

Violent crimes have generally declined in US cities since the 1990s, but have risen steeply in the past year in several cities including Philadelphia, Chicago and New York.

  • Fact-checking Trump on crime in ‘Democratic cities’
  • Are US cities seeing a surge in violent crime?

What is happening in those cities?

The move comes amid a summer of unrest sparked by protests against the police killing of black Americans. Some of the protests have led to major police reforms around the country.

In New York City, the rate of shootings and murders have skyrocketed as youth programmes and other social organisations have been placed on hold due to the pandemic. Cases of looting and vandalism have also made national news as protests for racial justice have sometimes turned violent.

Reacting to the Justice department announcement on Monday, New York City mayor Bill de Blasio called the decision “another one of President Trump’s games,” adding: “It’s insulting to the people of New York City and his [Mr Trump’s] effort to withhold our funding is unconstitutional.”

Seattle permitted the establishment of a so-called “autonomous zone,” where protesters forbade police from entering six square blocks of the downtown part of the city for nearly a month. The

Read more

3 Hells Kitchen Eateries Lose Liquor License For COVID Violations

HELL’S KITCHEN, NY — Three restaurants in Hell’s Kitchen had their liquor licenses suspended by the state this week for violating rules intended to curb the spread of the coronavirus, Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced Friday.

Taqueria Diana on Ninth Avenue, Sushiva, also on Ninth, and Kochi, on 10th Avenue, all had their licenses suspended by the New York State Liquor Authority after inspectors found unsafe conditions there earlier this month, the state said. They are among 33 restaurants and bars statewide being hit with suspensions this week.

State investigators visited Taqueria Diana on Sept. 2, where they found five customers drinking indoors, violating the city’s ban on indoor dining which has being in place since March. The customers, a bartender and a kitchen employee were not wearing face coverings, the state said.

The state called the Mexican restaurant and bar a “repeat offender,” having previously been knocked for allowing indoor dining in July.

Inspectors visited Sushiva on Sept. 4, where they found six customers eating and drinking inside the Japanese restaurant. Its liquor license had only been issued three months earlier on June 1, the state said.

At Kochi, inspectors on Sept. 7 found about 30 customers and servers inside the Korean restaurant, violating the indoor dining ban. They also reported about 20 customers eating and drinking directly outside the restaurant, breaking social distancing requirements.

The state has now suspended 201 liquor licenses during the pandemic began, part of a crackdown by Gov. Andrew Cuomo in which three violations would result in a restaurant being shut down by the state.

Businesses face fines as high as $10,000 or immediate suspension of their liquor license for violating COVID-19 regulations.

“New Yorkers have worked together to stop the spread of coronavirus — but with our infection rate hovering around 1 percent and the threat of a second wave on the horizon, we must double down on the successful strategies that have helped us over the last six months,” Cuomo said in a statement.

Anna Quinn contributed to this report.

This article originally appeared on the Midtown-Hell’s Kitchen Patch

Source Article

Read more

Rockets lose to Lakers as NBA investigates Danuel House

The Rockets who took the court for a 110-100 loss to the Lakers in Game 4 — a contest that was far less competitive than the final score indicated — left themselves befuddled with their poor showing in a series that Los Angeles now leads 3-1.

James Harden, who scored 21 points but shot just 2-11 from the field, said that it was a “good question” why Houston came out flat for three quarters, but stopped there before offering any depth. Russell Westbrook, who scored a team-high 25 points, said he “[didn’t] have an explanation” for why there was no “sense of urgency.” Coach Mike D’Antoni said only that there was a “lack of spirit,” minutes after loud shouting from inside Houston’s locker room could be heard in the arena’s hallway.

It’s no coincidence that the Rockets’ collapse against the Lakers has coincided with the NBA’s investigation of forward Danuel House for violating the bubble’s health and safety protocols, and center Tyson Chandler, who was initially suspected but later cleared.

House, a 27-year-old backup forward in his fourth season, did not play in Game 3 or Game 4, with the Rockets citing “personal reasons” for his first absence. While the NBA has not formally announced a ruling or even that it is investigating House, people with knowledge of the situation confirmed that House was sidelined for hosting an unauthorized guest at the Rockets’ team hotel. House has maintained his innocence, although NBA security investigators felt they had sufficient evidence to keep him out of a playoff series that was tied at one game apiece.

The Rockets were informed Tuesday — the day of their Game 3 loss to the Lakers — that Chandler and House were under investigation after the NBA discovered that a female subcontractor who worked in the bubble had passed security checkpoints and gained access to the Grand Floridian hotel on Monday night. Chandler was subsequently cleared to rejoin the team for Game 4; House was not, and he has remained confined to his hotel room this week as he awaits word from the league on his status.

There had been no indication as of Thursday night that House will cleared before Saturday’s Game 5, in which Houston faces elimination. Previous violators of the NBA’s quarantine protocol, including Sacramento Kings center Richaun Holmes and Los Angeles Clippers guard Lou Williams, have been required to remain quarantined for up to 10 days, which would sideline House for the duration of the series even if it went seven games.

People with knowledge of the situation, who were granted anonymity to speak candidly about the ongoing investigation, said that the Rockets were “blindsided” by the NBA’s decision and that there had been little direct communication between the league office and team officials and Houston had received no formal presentation of evidence. Instead, communication continues between the NBA and the National Basketball Players Association.

“The NBA is treating [House] as guilty until proven innocent for safety reasons,” said one person with

Read more

Chicago cannot lose the Palmer House, now boarded up and in deep financial trouble

The great Chicago Tribune critic Claudia Cassidy lived at the Drake Hotel. Touring Broadway celebrities would dine with Sun-Times columnist Irv Kupcinet at the Pump Room at the Ambassador East. And at the Palmer House’s famed Empire Room, a 250-seat cabaret venue with an elegance like no other, Phyllis Diller told jokes and early-career stars like Liberace, Maurice Chevalier, Carol Channing and Tony Bennett were launched.



a sign on the side of a building: Owner of the Palmer House Hilton has been sued for $338 million in missed loan payments, in the largest Chicago foreclosure case to emerge from the coronavirus pandemic, Tuesday, Sept. 8, 2020.


© E. Jason Wambsgans / Chicago Tribune/Chicago Tribune/TNS
Owner of the Palmer House Hilton has been sued for $338 million in missed loan payments, in the largest Chicago foreclosure case to emerge from the coronavirus pandemic, Tuesday, Sept. 8, 2020.



a close up of a train station: The entrance of the Palmer House Hilton stands empty on Monroe Street on Sept. 8.


© E. Jason Wambsgans / Chicago Tribune/Chicago Tribune/TNS
The entrance of the Palmer House Hilton stands empty on Monroe Street on Sept. 8.

All of that is to say that Chicago’s historic hotels are joined at the hip with our historic and spectacular tradition of live entertainment.

All of that is to say further that, for this writer, seeing boards over the entrance to the Palmer House Hotel, officially the Palmer House Hilton, is every bit as painful as seeing them over the Art Institute of Chicago, or the Picasso statue or Buckingham Fountain.

To lose this hotel would be a loss of unfathomable proportions. And there is a real danger of the unthinkable happening.

As the Tribune’s Ryan Ori reported Aug. 31, the owner of the Palmer House, Thor Equities, has been hit with a foreclosure suit alleging unpaid mortgage payments totaling nearly $338 million. Worse, the hotel is now, in real estate parlance, underwater, being as its current valuation is only $305 million, down from $560 million as recently as 2018.

For a stunning example of how much Chicago’s Loop is losing to the absence of tourists and conventioneers, just consider the size and speed of that drop in valuation.

It’s breathtaking.

That word that could also be used to describe the lobby of the Palmer House, a grand riot of columns, murals, candelabras and a sense of Saturday night urban grandeur that once was the headquarters for the election campaign of Grover Cleveland and, over the years, has hosted enough weddings and conventions to keep half the Loop in business.

The Palmer House long employed a resident historian, Ken Price, who led hundreds of tours to the backstage areas of the Empire Room, where a lucky guests could see stagebills and headshots of the greats who performed there, all lovingly preserved. Price’s tour was about the most fun I ever had in the Loop. And lots of out-of-towners, especially show-business types, felt the same way.

Michael Riedel, the New York radio personality and longtime Broadway columnist, told me this week of his excitement of staying in “the biggest suite I had ever seen” while covering an out-of-town tryout. And, of course, he took Price’s tour. Chris Baum, a longtime concierge at the Langham Chicago Hotel, told me he sent many a guest to experience the history of the Empire Room.

Over

Read more