SJC: Newton home contractor who is Level 3 sex offender does not have to list clients’ addresses

“The defendant … is not an employee but an independent contractor, and publishing his clients’ addresses as though his clients were his employers would mischaracterize the relationship,” Gants wrote.

The SJC ruling was sought by Francis X. Harding Jr. a self-employed home contractor whom the Sex Offender Registry Board has classified as a Level 3 sex offender, the most likely to reoffend.

According to the SJC, Harding pleaded guilty in 2015 to charges of indecent assault and battery on a child under 14 and possession of child pornography and was sentenced to five years of probation among other sanctions in Fall River District Court.

He was required to register as a sex offender and in the years since has listed his Newton home — where he has a workshop — as both his work and home address with the board, the SJC said.

The self-employed contractor has also regularly shared detailed invoices about the homes or businesses where he had worked with probation officers and was considered to be in compliance with his sentence, the SJC said.

But in March 2018, a Revere police officer spotted Harding at a shopping plaza where the officer was conducting a drug investigation, stopped him, and learned he was working at a house in Lynn repairing gutters, the SJC said.

Lynn police confirmed the information and also confirmed an infant child lived there – Harding was barred from working “with’ children under his sentence – leading District Court Judge Cynthia M. Brackett to find that Harding violated his probation.

Harding appealed, drawing support from the Committee for Public Counsel Services and the non-profit Massachusetts Association for the Treatment of Sexual Abusers.

They jointly argued sex offenders already face major problems getting work and the public disclosure would drive drive away potential customers. Steady employment, they argued, has been proven to reduce recidivism among sex offenders, citing several studies, including one that showed 54 percent of unemployed sex offenders in Indiana committed new crimes.

But Bristol District Attorney Thomas M. Quinn III, whose office prosecuted Harding, wrote in court papers that the major focus of the law was to protect children. Prosecutors said that the Lynn family did not know Harding was a registered sex offender and that he was on site for 30 days.

“The entire purpose that registration serves [is] ensuring that authorities know where sex offenders live and work so they can monitor the offenders to prevent recidivism and protect the public, particularly where children are at risk,” prosecutors said.

Gants, who died last month, wrote that Harding had twice been hired by the Lynn homeowners and the second employment took place after they had a child. .

Gants wrote that the sex offender registry law requires offenders to notify local police and the board they have a new employer 10 days before they start work and in those cases where a homeowner needs help right away, the offender could lose the contract.

“We will not infer that the Legislature intended to

Read more

White House physician says Trump oxygen level dropped twice

  • White House physician Sean Conley admitted at a Sunday press briefing that President Trump was given supplemental oxygen on Saturday, which he declined to acknowledge the day before.
  • “I was trying to reflect the upbeat attitude that the team, the president, over his course of illness, has had,” Conley said.
  • Conley’s statements would back up White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows, who expressed concerns about Trump’s condition on Saturday.
  • Since Friday, Trump has received a second dose of the antiviral drug remdesivir, along with a dose of dexamethasone, to fight the coronavirus.
  • Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.

White House physician Sean Conley admitted at a Sunday briefing that President Trump was given supplemental oxygen on Saturday, which he declined to acknowledge at yesterday’s briefing.

“I was trying to reflect the upbeat attitude that the team, the president, over his course of illness, has had,” he said. “I didn’t want to give any information that might steer the course of illness in another direction, and in doing so, came off as if we were trying to hide something, which wasn’t necessarily true. He is doing really well and…if everything continues to go well, we’re going to start discharge plans back to the White House.”

This revelation would support statements made by White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows the day before, on Saturday, regarding Trump’s condition as he battles the coronavirus.

Meadows said that Trump experienced a “very concerning” period on Friday when his blood oxygen level dropped and he developed a high fever, and faced a “critical” 48-hour period at the Walter Reed Military Medical Center, according to The Associated Press. He also said that Trump was “not on a clear path yet to a full recovery.”

At one point, Trump’s oxygen levels dropped to 93%, according to the doctors, below the 95% figure that is cited as the lower limit for normal blood-oxygen saturation.

 

Late Saturday, Conley said that the medical team overseeing Trump was “cautiously optimistic” but that the President was “not yet out of the woods.”

Dr. Brian Garibaldi said Trump also received a second dose of the antiviral drug remdesivir, along with a dose of dexamethasone.

Garibaldi said that Trump is “up and well” and that the medical team wanted him to remain active on Sunday.

Trump has been at Walter Reed since Friday after he and First Lady Melania Trump announced that they had contracted the coronavirus, and the medical team said that he could be discharged as early as Monday if his condition warrants a release.

LoadingSomething is loading.

Source Article

Read more