Real Salt Lake’s Sam Johnson suspended after alleged shooting at his party

Real Salt Lake forward Sam Johnson was suspended from the team and prohibited from all activities after a shooting took place at a party at his home earlier this month, according to the Salt Lake Tribune.

Johnson, 27, is in his second year with RSL. He was the second-leading scorer on the team last season with nine goals, his first in MLS.

The league is currently investigating the incident. 

“The team and league are aware of the incident and are currently conducting an investigation,” RSL said in a statement, via the Salt Lake Tribune. “In accordance with health and safety protocols, the player is prohibited from engaging in any team-related activity. We will have no further comment until the conclusion of the League’s investigation.”

Johnson allegedly throws house party amid COVID-19

Despite the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, which is trending up across the country, Johnson allegedly threw a house party at his Salt Lake City-area home that about 100 people attended on Oct. 3. Utah has banned gatherings of more than 50 people due to the pandemic.

Per the report, a gunshot was fired early on Oct. 4 that caused “partygoers to scatter.” Johnson wasn’t believed to have been at his home at the time of the gunshot. 

A man with a gunshot wound then showed up to a local hospital hours later with a non-life-threatening injury. The man said he was shot elsewhere and wasn’t cooperative with police about the incident, per the report.

It’s not clear who fired the shot or why.

Johnson is in the second year of his two-year deal with Real Salt Lake. He has scored one goal in 330 minutes so far this season. 

Real Salt Lake forward Sam Johnson
Despite the ongoing pandemic, Sam Johnson allegedly threw a massive house party earlier this month. (Fred Kfoury III/Icon Sportswire/Getty Images)

More from Yahoo Sports:

Source Article

Read more

Bess Abell, White House social secretary during Johnson administration, dies at 87

The cause was complications from Alzheimer’s disease, said her husband, Tyler Abell, who served in the final months of Johnson’s presidency as chief of protocol. His appointment carried ambassadorial rank and, along with his wife’s position, placed the Abells among the elite Washington power couples of that era.

Mrs. Abell’s acquaintance with the Johnsons dated at least to the 1950s, when Lyndon B. Johnson (D-Tex.) was serving as Senate majority leader and Mrs. Abell’s father, Sen. Earle C. Clements (D-Ky.), was majority whip. The Johnsons feted Bess and Tyler Abell when they married in 1955, and five years later, the Abells named their second son Lyndon, after the future president.

Mrs. Abell volunteered with the 1960 campaign that thrust Lyndon Johnson to the vice presidency, under President John F. Kennedy, and became personal secretary to Johnson’s wife, Lady Bird Johnson, after their victory. Upon Kennedy’s assassination in 1963, Lyndon was sworn in as president, Lady Bird became first lady, and soon after, Mrs. Abell was named social secretary.

Perhaps the best-known woman to have previously held the role — at the time no man had served as White House social secretary — was Letitia Baldrige, a friend of Jacqueline Kennedy’s who was credited with helping the Kennedys project the aura of elegance that made their White House years known as Camelot.

By at least one account, Mrs. Abell held even greater sway than Baldrige, who had been tasked with “lifting presidential occasions to a continental style and standard,” government scholar MaryAnne Borrelli wrote in the 2011 book “The Politics of the President’s Wife.”

“Lady Bird Johnson placed tremendous confidence in Bess Abell, giving her even more responsibility than had been granted the Kennedy social secretaries,” Borrelli continued. “Comparing the administrations, Chief Usher J.B. West concluded that Bess Abell ‘did for Mrs. Johnson what Mamie Eisenhower and Jacqueline Kennedy had done for themselves. . . . It wasn’t just that Bess assumed more authority than previous social secretaries, she’d been granted that authority by Mrs. Johnson.”

Mrs. Abell set her clock five minutes fast to ensure the timely execution of her job. Her duties required military-level precision and coordination with the head usher, chef, florist and service staff of the White House — not to mention the entourages of visiting dignitaries from around the world. According to a Washington Post report at the time, she “planned, organized and staged the entertaining and feeding of nearly 80,000 presidential guests” — and that was only in her first three years on the job.

For the first couple, perhaps the most personally meaningful events organized by Mrs. Abell were the wedding reception for their younger daughter, Luci Johnson, and her husband, Patrick Nugent, in 1966 and the East Room wedding ceremony the next year uniting Luci’s older sister, Lynda Johnson, and future Virginia governor Charles S. Robb.

The fraught nature of wedding planning — coupled with political exigencies such as a requirement that Luci’s gown be pieced together so that most of the dress

Read more

Falling House Prices? Not if Boris Johnson Can Help it

House prices are defying economic gravity in much of the world. Central banks have cut interest rates and governments have turned on the spending taps to keep people in their jobs — and their homes. The U.K. cranked things up even more by temporarily cutting home-purchase taxes, known as stamp duty. After lockdown, a bigger home and garden is a priority for many of us.

There’s a problem, though. First-time buyers are locked out of the U.K. market because they can’t afford a mortgage. Lenders withdrew high loan-to-value deals when the pandemic began, forcing borrowers to find much larger deposits. That may be impossible unless parents can help. This exacerbates an already cavernous divide between the young, stuck in crummy rental accommodation, and the old, who are often their landlords. 

Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s solution, announced this week, is to offer “young first-time buyers the chance to take out a long-term fixed-rate mortgage of up to 95% of the value of the home, vastly reducing the size of the deposit.”

The proposal addresses a peculiarity in U.K. housing. Traditionally Brits haven’t embraced long, fixed-rate mortgages. If there’s ever a time to change that mindset, it’s now. It’s tempting to take advantage of rock-bottom interest rates to help the young, and to get banks to play their part.

Unfortunately, there’s a strong chance that Johnson’s proposal will simply blow more air into Britain’s house price bubble, while piling risk onto the finance industry. Conservative-led governments have long propped up housing demand without creating enough supply, making values outlandishly disconnected to most people’s salaries.

The U.K. already has home-purchase subsidies, known as Help to Buy (which should really be called “Help for Homebuilders”). Coupled with stamp-duty cuts, expanding credit to would-be homeowners will surely just make prices soar again, putting the ownership dream further out of reach. And why does Johnson think lending to more to cash-poor buyers is a sound financial idea? Mortgage lenders tend to have a better grasp of risk versus reward, and no one knows how bad the pandemic recession is going to be.

Buyers who put down only a small deposit risk being trapped in negative equity if house prices decline. That’s precisely what banks fear will happen when the government winds down Covid-19 support measures. Johnson hasn’t spelled out details such as the precise duration of the new mortgages or whether the taxpayer will be on the hook for any loan losses.

Banks are already struggling to make money because of low interest rates and they’re facing pandemic-induced corporate loan losses. The last thing they need is a wave of mortgage defaults to add to their woes. 

It’s especially confusing to be told to lend more when regulators, including the Bank of England, want lenders to do the opposite.

At least borrowers wouldn’t have to worry about interest rates rising if they locked in to a long fixed-rate mortgage. Negative equity isn’t such a worry if you don’t have to repay for another 25 years. Yet

Read more

Boris Johnson apologises after he’s left fumbling over pub garden rules in north-east England



Ralf Baumeister wearing a suit and tie


© Provided by Evening Standard


Boris Johnson was left fumbling when asked if he could clarify regulations on pub gardens in north east England amid confusion over the rules.

Tough restrictions banning “indoor mixing between households in any setting” are being enforced on Tuesday evening to help curb the spread of coronavirus in a number of areas.

“Boris Johnson left fumbling as he’s quizzed on local lockdown rules in north-east England”

UP NEXT

UP NEXT

Asked to clarify whether the restrictions extend to pub gardens, the Prime Minister tied himself in knots, seemingly referring to the rule of six.

He said: “On the rule of six, outside the areas such as the north east where extra measures have been brought in, it’s six inside, six outside.

“And in the north east or other areas where extra tight measures have been brought in, you should follow the guidance of the local authorities.

“But it is six in a home, six in hospitality, but as I understand it, not six outside. That is the situation there.”

Labour deputy leader Angela Rayner branded Mr Johnson “grossly incompetent”. “For the Prime Minister to not understand his own rules is grossly incompetent,” she said.

“These new restrictions are due to come into force across huge parts of the country tonight. The Government needs to get a grip.”

https://cdn.jwplayer.com/players/1eF4ZMo2-hKY5LbS1.html

Mr Johnson later apologised. In a Tweet following his speech, he said: “Apologies, I misspoke today.”

He added: “In the North East, new rules mean you cannot meet people from different households in social settings indoors, including in pubs, restaurants and your home. You should also avoid socialising with other households outside.

“This is vital to control the spread of coronavirus and keep everyone safe. If you are in a high risk area, please continue to follow the guidelines from local authorities.”

The Department for Health and Social Care was approached for comment but no explanation was available.

However, while it is understood that pub and restaurants are not covered by the new legal restrictions, it is against Government “guidance” to meet people from other households in those settings in affected areas.

“This applies to inside and outside of the affected areas. Examples of public venues include pubs, restaurants, cafes, shops, places of worship, community centres, leisure and entertainment venues, or visitor attractions,” the guidance says.

It comes after both Downing Street and education minister Gillian Keegan were unable to say whether households could mix in pub and restaurant gardens under the new regulations.

The Prime Minister’s official spokesman said: “The Department of Health are setting out the full details of the steps they announced last night later on today.”

Pressed about the confusion, the spokesman added: “It is the

Read more

Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson endorses Biden-Harris ticket for White House

In a first for the most electrifying man in sports entertainment, The Rock has publicly endorsed a candidate for public office

Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson has never publicly endorsed a candidate for public office before.

All that has now changed, as he’s announced his support for Democrats Joe Biden and Kamala Harris to be elected the next president and vice president on the United States this November.

The actor and former wrestler posted his official announcement on his Twitter page on Sunday morning. Not only did he give his endorsement, but he also recorded a video of him speaking with both Biden and Harris, asking them about what they plan to do if they win.

Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson attends the premiere of Sony Pictures’ “Jumanji: The Next Level” at TCL Chinese Theatre on December 09, 2019 in Hollywood, California. (Photo by Kevin Winter/Getty Images)
Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson attends the premiere of Sony Pictures’ “Jumanji: The Next Level” at TCL Chinese Theatre on December 09, 2019 in Hollywood, California. (Photo by Kevin Winter/Getty Images)

Johnson is a self-proclaimed “political independent and centrist” who has voted for both Democrats and Republicans in his lifetime. He also revealed he has friends “in all parties.” However, he’s choosing to speak up now for what he calls “the most critical election this country has seen in decades.”

READ MORE: Biden, Harris pay tribute to Ruth Bader Ginsburg at viewing

The video transitioned from Johnson making his endorsement announcement alone and outdoors to a virtual sit-down with Biden and Harris, where he complimented them both and told them he was endorsing them in the election. Johnson then asked the duo how they plan to earn the respect of the nation if they win.

“By doing what we say we’re going to do. By keeping our word,” Biden answered. “When we fail, acknowledge it. We’re not going to be perfect, but take responsibility.”

Harris responded to the same question by saying that trust needs to be established between the American people and the Administration.

READ MORE: What we have to lose with Trump: Education for our Black children

“It’s a reciprocal relationship. You give and receive trust,” Harris answered. “And one of the foundations of trust is truth.”

Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden and Democratic Vice Presidential nominee Kamala Harris confer on stage outside the Chase Center after Biden delivered his acceptance speech on the fourth night of the Democratic National Convention from the Chase Center on August 20, 2020 in Wilmington, Delaware. (Photo by Win McNamee/Getty Images)
Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden and Democratic Vice Presidential nominee Kamala Harris confer on stage outside the Chase Center after Biden delivered his acceptance speech on the fourth night of the Democratic National Convention from the Chase Center on August 20, 2020 in Wilmington, Delaware. (Photo by Win McNamee/Getty Images)

Harris continued by saying that it’s difficult to be truthful at times because sometimes people don’t want to always hear the truth, but that the nation has been suffering so much that being truthful is crucial to progress.

“People are grieving the loss of life, the loss of jobs, the loss of certainty, the loss of normalcy,” Harris said. “And to heal and get through this, we’re going to have to be honest about what healing will require.”

Have you subscribed to theGrio’s podcast “Dear Culture”? Download our newest episodes now!

The post Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson endorses Biden-Harris ticket for White House appeared first

Read more

Editorial: We recommend Jarvis Johnson for Texas House District 139


District 139, which encompasses a largely Black and Hispanic area in northwest Houston, has a good representative in Jarvis Johnson. Voters should continue showing their support.

If Democrats manage to take control of the Texas House this election, Johnson said he is ready to lead by example and continue working with his fellow legislators, regardless of the letter next to their name.


Running for his fourth term, Johnson has been willing to listen to those with different points of view. He may not agree, he said, but it’s his obligation to pay attention.

“We have to make sure that we govern for all Texans. This idea of no compromise and no negotiation, that’s what’s hurting our state,” he told the editorial board. “It’s what’s hurting our nation.”



If re-elected, Johnson, 48, said his priority is to expand Medicaid, as too many needy Texans are without health insurance. Finding revenue to cover the shortfall left by the economic impact of the pandemic will also be at the top of his list. While raising the sales tax is off the table, he said the state should see legalizing and taxing marijuana as an opportunity.


On specific challenges to his district, he will continue to focus on air quality concerns, including trying to regulate or keep out concrete batch plants from areas such as Acres Homes.

He will also work to pass the George Floyd Act, introduced by the Texas Legislative Black Caucus last month, which would ban chokeholds by police and require officers to intervene if another officer is using excessive force.


Running against Johnson is R. Grizzle Trojacek, who was also his opponent in 2018. According to his unfinished website, the libertarian wants to lower taxes and give more control to parents over their children’s education. He did not meet with the board.

Johnson has proven he can do a good job for his

Read more

Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson reveals he ripped the front gate off his house to get to work on time

Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson proved his muscles aren’t just for show by ripping the front gate off his own house so that he could get to work on time.

The 48-year-old actor and fitness enthusiast shared a photo of his front gate laying in the grass near his home on Friday with a lengthy caption explaining that a power outage forced him to take matters into his own hands, literally, so that he could get back to work on the movie “Red Notice.”

“Not my finest hour, but a man’s gotta go to work. We experienced a power outage due to severe storms, causing my front gate not to open,” he wrote. “I tried to override the hydraulic system to open the gates, which usually works when power goes out – but this time it wouldn’t.”

DWAYNE ‘THE ROCK’ JOHNSON CELEBRATES WIFE’S BIRTHDAY AFTER COVID-19 RECOVERY

Johnson explained that the earliest estimate he could get for a technician to come and help was about 45 minutes.

“By this time, I know I have hundreds of production crew members waiting for me to come to work so we can start our day,” he continued. “So I did what I had to do. I pushed, pulled and ripped the gate completely off myself. Tore it out of the brick wall, severed the steel hydraulics and threw it on the grass.”

Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson ripped the gate off his own house.

Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson ripped the gate off his own house.
(Vivian Zink/NBC)

DWAYNE ‘THE ROCK’ JOHNSON SAYS HE, HIS FAMILY TESTED POSITIVE FOR CORONAVIRUS

The “Jumanji” star noted that his security team waited until technicians arrived and replaced the gate. In a follow-up post, he shared a pair of videos showing the repairs being done as well as the damage the massive celebrity did on his own gate.

“Maybe next time I’ll just hop the gates and call an Uber. Actually, no I won’t. There’s no fun in that,” he joked in the caption.

“Just one of those days where I wasn’t in the mood,” he concluded. “We’ve all been there.”

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

The actor was anxious to get back to work on his movie “Red Notice” alongside Ryan Reynolds. The film’s production was delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but resumed production earlier this month.

Source Article

Read more