Trump planning to host 1st in-person event since diagnosis at White House on Saturday: Sources

ABC News Corona Virus Government. Response

His doctor said the president can hold “public engagements” starting Saturday.

The event will feature “remarks to peaceful protesters for law and order” by the president, according to an invite obtained by ABC News and confirmed by two White House sources familiar with the planning.

The gathering is scheduled to take place on the South Lawn of the White House in conjunction with a previously planned event organized by controversial conservative activist Candace Owens’ group Blexit, a campaign to urge Black Americans to leave the Democratic Party, sources said.

Trump according to a source is expected to address the crowd from the balcony of the White House.

With just days separating the president from his stay at Walter Reed Medical Center, experts fear this type of event threatens to exacerbate the crisis already engulfing the White House and further spread the disease. On Wednesday, ABC News reported that the coronavirus outbreak had infected “34 White House staffers and other contacts” in recent days, citing an internal government memo.

“All attendees must bring a mask with them and will be instructed to wear it on the White House Complex,” a source familiar with the planning of the event told ABC News. “All attendees must submit to a Covid-19 screening tomorrow morning. This will consist of a temperature check and a brief questionnaire. The health and safety of all attendees is our priority and following CDC guidelines is strongly encouraged.”

PHOTO: This invitation to a White House event scheduled for October 10 was obtained by ABC News.

This invitation to a White House event scheduled for October 10 was obtained by ABC News.

“The Trump administration continues to have disregard for the science,” said Dr. Jay Bhatt, an ABC News contributor and practicing internist. “This statement is premature given that we don’t know what will happen between now and Saturday given that symptoms can pop at any time. He put many people at risk and we saw the aftermath. This can’t happen again.”

The Trump campaign also announced a rally on Monday night in Sanford, Florida. On Twitter, the president referred to it as “a very BIG RALLY!”

The Biden camp quickly responded to the news, with Mike Gwin, Biden’s deputy direct response coordinator, saying in a statement, “Donald Trump seems to be living in an alternate reality where he isn’t sick and contagious with COVID-19 and where he didn’t just hold what Dr. Fauci himself described as a super-spreader event at the White House that likely infected dozens more. This decision is stunningly reckless and irresponsible, and it’s only the latest evidence that Trump has waved the white flag of defeat against this virus

Read more

Overnight Health Care: Fauci: ‘We had a superspreader event in the White House’ | Trump to hold an in-person event on Saturday

Welcome to Friday’s Overnight Health Care. President Trump is returning to in-person events, the stimulus talks are maybe sort-of alive again, and the CDC warns about the spread of the virus among young people. But we’ll start with Dr. Fauci weighing in on the White House.



a man wearing a suit and tie: Overnight Health Care: Fauci: 'We had a superspreader event in the White House' | Trump to hold an in-person event on Saturday | Trump proposes a $1.8T relief package


© Washington Examiner/Pool
Overnight Health Care: Fauci: ‘We had a superspreader event in the White House’ | Trump to hold an in-person event on Saturday | Trump proposes a $1.8T relief package

A stark assessment from Dr. Fauci: ‘We had a superspreader event in the White House’

Anthony Fauci, the government’s top infectious disease expert, said Friday that there was a “superspreader event” at the White House, amid an outbreak of cases among the president and staff.

“Well, I think the data speak for themselves. We had a superspreader event in the White House, and it was in a situation where people were crowded together and were not wearing masks,” Fauci told CBS News Radio.

His remarks came in response to a question about the lack of mask-wearing at the White House, and whether testing alone could stop the virus from spreading.

At least 34 White House staffers and contacts have been infected, according to a Federal Emergency Management Agency memo obtained by ABC News.

Many of the individuals who have tested positive attended a Sept. 26 event at the White House where Trump announced the nomination of Judge Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court. The event featured a crowd of people sitting close together in the White House Rose Garden, with many not wearing masks, as well as indoor activities.

Read more here.

And now, Trump to hold an in-person event on Saturday:

President Trump plans to hold an in-person event at the White House on Saturday, an official confirmed to The Hill, his first public engagement since being diagnosed with the coronavirus last week.

ABC News, which first reported the plans, said that Trump would speak to an audience on the South Lawn from the balcony of the White House at an event being billed to invitees as “remarks to peaceful protesters for law and order.”

It is not clear how many individuals will attend the outdoor event. The setup suggests that Trump will not be close to any of his guests.

More on that here.

Even though the White House has repeatedly refused to disclose when Trump’s last negative test was, his doctor said he should be able to make a “safe return” to public events by Saturday. Read more on that here.

The latest in a dizzying series of turns on the stimulus talks: Trump proposes a $1.8T coronavirus relief package

Inching closer to Democrats’ demands, President Trump and his aides on Friday offered Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) a $1.8 trillion coronavirus relief package, sources said, as the president urged the negotiators to “go big.”

The new figure was a jump from the White House’s $1.6 trillion offer last week, but there was no

Read more

Trump Plans In-Person White House Event, Rally in Florida

WASHINGTON—President Trump is planning to hold his first in-person events since being treated for a coronavirus infection with a gathering on Saturday at the White House and a campaign rally Monday in Florida.

Mr. Trump was scheduled to deliver remarks on Saturday at 2 p.m. from the South Portico balcony at the White House, officials said.

A White House official said Mr. Trump planned to focus his remarks on law and order issues. Officials didn’t say who would be in attendance.

Guests in attendance for the event were being requested to bring a mask with them and would be instructed to wear it on the White House grounds, an official said. All attendees would be given a temperature check and a brief questionnaire about recent symptoms, the official said.

Mr. Trump said in a tweet Friday that he would “be in Sanford, Florida on Monday for a very BIG RALLY!” Officials have been also considering travel in Michigan and Pennsylvania.

Mr. Trump said in a Fox News interview Thursday night that he might do a campaign rally in Florida Saturday and in Pennsylvania Sunday, but officials said he doesn’t plan to travel this weekend.

The Commission on Presidential Debates said Friday it decided to cancel the planned matchup next week between Mr. Trump and Joe Biden, according to a person familiar with the matter. The move followed Mr. Trump’s decision to not participate in a virtual debate.

The organizing body had previously said it was changing the format for the planned second debate on Oct. 15 from an in-person town hall in Miami to a virtual meeting. The decision came after the president and several people in the White House tested positive for coronavirus.

The president said he wouldn’t join a virtual debate, and his campaign called for the two remaining debates to be moved back. Mr. Biden’s campaign, however, objected to changing the dates.

“It is now apparent there will be no debate on October 15, and the CPD will turn its attention to preparations for the final presidential debate scheduled for October 22,” the commission said in a statement. “Both candidates have agreed to participate in the October 22 debate.”

The debate will take place at Belmont University in Nashville. The topics for the debate will be selected by Kristen Welker, an anchor with NBC News, who will moderate.

“There is no medical reason to stop the October 15 debate in Miami from proceeding as scheduled, since the president will be healthy and ready to debate,” said Tim Murtaugh, communications director for the Trump campaign. Mr. Murtaugh also suggested that Mr. Biden participate in a third debate even if it isn’t organized by the commission. “We would be glad to debate one-on-one without the commission’s interference,” he said.

Andrew Bates, a spokesman for the Biden campaign, said in a statement Friday that the former vice president looks “forward to making his case to the American people about how to overcome this pandemic, restore American leadership and our alliances

Read more

Garden Grove Unified reverses plan to reopen schools for in-person instruction

GARDEN GROVE, Calif. (KABC) — Garden Grove Unified School District has reversed its plan for reopening schools.

According to the Orange County Register, the county’s third-largest school district announced Wednesday that it’s no longer planning to return to in-class learning in October.

The district says more parents than expected want to continue with distance learning, and school officials needs more time for planning and to obtain additional technology for students.

RELATED: Huntington Park business gets creative, builds space-saving desks for students doing distance learning in tight quarters

The district, which includes about 41,000 students, initially planned to reopen elementary schools on Oct. 5 and middle and high schools on Oct. 12. Most campuses planned a hybrid with some in-person learning and some online instruction due to physical distancing requirements.

It is unclear when the district will reopen campuses.

In the meantime, the district says it’s working to expand its on-site supervision programs to help parents.

Copyright © 2020 KABC-TV. All Rights Reserved.

Source Article

Read more

In-person art returns to Garden City Arts – News – The Topeka Capital-Journal

GARDEN CITY–After a few trial runs, some of the adult, in-person classes resumed at Garden City Arts in August, but information about the classes was not publicly known until mid-September.

Katy Guthrie, executive director of Garden City Arts, said the reopening of classes was not publicly announced earlier because they wanted to make sure they could be done in a safe manner.

“The first class we only had six participants, but that was absolutely fine, because it gave us a good sense of how many we could fit in the space comfortably and safely,” she said. “We had three in-person classes in August and both went very well.”

So far only two adult programs have resumed in-person — Blushing Artiste and Acrylic Pour, Guthrie said. They’re the programs they were confident could be restarted safely.

The classes look different now than they did pre-COVID-19, Guthrie said. Teachers and participants are required to wear masks and everyone is at their own desk 6 feet apart.

Classes sizes have also shrunk, Guthrie said. Prior to COVID-19, they had more seating and up to 20 people per class.

“We’re down to a maximum of eight to 10, so we cut our class sizes in half, and we’re really making sure that everyone feels comfortable,” she said.

Additionally, instructors are encouraged to check with participants before approaching or handling supplies, Guthrie said. They want to make sure no one feels like their space is being invaded and that they feel safe.

In particular to the reopened classes, Blushing Artiste, a paint class, looks different in that refreshments are no longer offered and it is only held once a month.

Guthrie said Arcylic Pour has changed little, as it’s a class that feels like it was made in response to COVID-19.

“Everyone kind of works at their own pace and at their own station and does their own thing after a very quick demo,” she said.

Cleaning has also been stepped up in the classrooms, Guthrie said.

“All brushes are sanitized in between classes, that’s why we don’t have back-to-back classes anymore, to ensure that supplies are not being handled by the same person,” she said. “We’re making sure that everyone has their own supplies. We also thoroughly clean surfaces that are heavy traffic areas, just to ensure everyone’s safety.”

One big change to in-person classes is that pre-enrollment is now required, Guthrie said. Walk-ins are accepted if there is room, but with a limited class size, it’s unlikely.

For more information, visit gardencityarts.org.

Source Article

Read more