Ex-Pence adviser says Trump’s Fauci ad is a ‘gross’ example of a White House with ‘no regard for the truth’

Olivia Troye, a former member of the White House Coronavirus Task Force, is calling the Trump campaign’s decision to use an edited clip of Dr. Anthony Fauci in a new ad “gross and upsetting and typical of a White House that has no regard for the truth.”

Before resigning in July, Troye served as Vice President Mike Pence’s homeland security and counterterrorism adviser, and was his lead staffer on the task force. She began speaking out against the Trump administration last month, releasing an ad with the Republican Voters Against Trump organization that slammed the president for not taking COVID-19 seriously.

Fauci is the nation’s top infectious disease expert, and for a new ad, the Trump campaign spliced together Fauci’s words in an attempt to make it sound like he was praising the president’s response to the coronavirus pandemic. Fauci said on Sunday his words were used out of context and without his permission, and over the course of his career he has “never publicly endorsed any political candidate.” On Monday, he called on the campaign to take down the ad.

Troye was shocked by the ad, and in response she quickly filmed a new video for Republican Voters Against Trump, which was released on Monday night. In it, Troye explains that she worked side-by-side with Fauci on the coronavirus task force, and she “witnessed Donald Trump and senior White House officials routinely sideline and discredit Dr. Fauci, both privately and publicly, and now the Trump campaign is twisting Dr. Fauci’s words in a campaign ad for their own political gain.”

This is “gross and upsetting and typical of a White House that has no regard for the truth,” Troye continues. “For Donald Trump, it’s always about him. For Dr. Fauci, it’s always been about serving the American people. Join me as a Republican and former Trump administration staffer who is voting for Joe Biden.” Republican Voters Against Trump says the ad will air nationally during one of Trump’s favorite shows: Fox & Friends.

More stories from theweek.com
The Supreme Court deal is done
The winning re-election argument Trump could have made
Trump is shockingly bad at this

Source Article

Read more

Ex-Pence adviser and White House Coronavirus Task Force member endorses Biden: ‘It’s country over party’

Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden said during Thursday night’s CNN Presidential Town Hall in Scranton that if elected president, he will ensure that police reforms will be made by putting together a coalition of police chiefs, officers, unions, and civil rights and community leaders.

They will “sit at a table and agree on the fundamental things that have to be done, including much more rigorous background checks [for those] that apply for and become officers,” Biden said. He called the “vast majority” of police officers “decent, honorable people,” adding that “one of the things I’ve found is, the only people who don’t like bad cops more than we don’t like them are police officers. And so what we have to do is we have to have a much more transparent means by which we provide for accountability within police departments.”

Moderator Anderson Cooper asked Biden about one of author Bob Woodward’s recent interviews with President Trump, during which Woodward asked Trump if he benefited from white privilege. “No, I don’t feel that way at all,” Trump responded. Biden said he feels the opposite way, and did benefit “just because I don’t have to go through what my Black brothers and sisters have had to go through.”

Biden pivoted and began talking about classism, and how “growing up here in Scranton, we’re used to guys who look down their nose at us. We are used to people looking at us and thinking more suckers, look at us and think that we’re not equivalent to them. If you didn’t have a college degree, you must be stupid.” This is the wrong attitude to have, Biden said, adding, “We are as good as anybody else, and guys like Trump who inherited everything and squandered what they inherited are the people that I’ve always had a problem with, not the people who are busting their neck.” Catherine Garcia

Source Article

Read more

Ex-Pence aide says Trump officials wanted to end coronavirus task force

  • Vice President’s former top aide on the coronavirus task force, told The Washington Post in an interview published Thursday that some senior White House aides wanted to “wind down” the task force in April. 
  • In early May, President Donald Trump announced that he would wind down the coronavirus task force before abruptly reversing course.
  • Olivia Troye left her White House post in August and on Thursday delivered scathing criticism of the president’s pandemic response, accusing him of showing a “flat-out disregard for human life.” 
  • Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.

Olivia Troye, Vice President’s former top aide on the coronavirus task force, told The Washington Post in an interview published Thursday that some senior White House aides wanted to “wind down” the task force at the end of April, even as COVID-19 was surging across the country. 

“In the middle of a pandemic, how could you do that?” she said. 

In early May, President Donald Trump announced that he would wind down the coronavirus task force before abruptly reversing course and declaring the task force would “continue on indefinitely with its focus on SAFETY & OPENING UP OUR COUNTRY AGAIN.” 

“I thought we could wind it down sooner … at a certain point, we won’t need the task force,” Trump told reporters on May 5, adding, “But I had no idea how popular the task force is until actually yesterday when I started talking about winding it down.” 

In both her interview with The Post and a video for the group Republican Voters Against Trump, Troye delivered scathing criticism of Trump’s pandemic response. She argued that the president showed a “flat-out disregard for human life” and that he was more concerned with the economy and his reelection than with protecting Americans.

“The president’s rhetoric and his own attacks against people in his administration trying to do the work, as well as the promulgation of false narratives and incorrect information of the virus have made this ongoing response a failure,” she told The Post. 

Before leaving her post in August, Troye served for two years as a top homeland security and counterterrorism adviser to Pence. She advised the vice president on a range of high-priority issues, including mass shootings, immigration, and hurricanes, and she was deeply involved in the administration’s pandemic response. 

The White House dismissed Troye’s allegations as “flat-out inaccurate.” Pence called his former close aide “one more disgruntled employee who’s left the WH decided to play politics during an election year.” 

When asked about Troye, the president simply responded, “I have no idea who she is, she doesn’t know me.”

A lifelong Republican who also served in President George W. Bush’s administration, Troye says she will vote for Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden.

Troye told The Post she regrets not pushing back more on White House officials and policies she disagreed with while she was a staffer.  

“I wished I had been more aggressive in fighting internal forces that were working against the CDC and other policies

Read more