The Commission on Presidential Debates cancels the second presidential debate planned for Miami, following President Trump’s refusal to take part in a virtual format.
WASHINGTON – President Donald Trump claimed Sunday he no longer has COVID-19 even though the White House refuses to say whether he has tested negative for the disease.
Just hours after his physician issued a memo saying he is no longer “a transmission risk” to others, Trump said in an interview on Fox News that he no longer has the disease and suggested he is now immune to the coronavirus.
Trump did not say in that interview whether he has tested negative for COVID-19. The memo issued late Saturday by his physician, Dr. Sean Conley, didn’t address that issue either.
Later Sunday, in an audio message to supporters, Trump claimed he has tested “totally negative” for COVID-19, going beyond the public memos released from his doctors.
Trump, who was hospitalized for three days last week at Walter Reed Military Medical Center for treatment for COVID-19, said during a telephone interview with Fox News’ “Sunday Morning Futures” that he feels great and that he is not taking any medications for the disease.
“The president is in very good shape,” he said.
‘I’m feeling great’: Trump delivers White House remarks in first public event since testing positive for COVID-19
Trump suggested he is now immune from the coronavirus and that he has “a protective glow” from the virus that has killed nearly 215,000 Americans.
Medical experts say people who get COVID-19 generally develop antibodies that might protect them from a second infection, although there’s no guarantee of how long that protection might last or whether it’s completely effective.
“It looks like I’m immune for, I don’t know, maybe a long time and maybe a short time,” Trump said.
Later Sunday, Trump made a similar statement on Twitter, causing the social media platform to attach a warning to the post.
“A total and complete sign off from White House Doctors yesterday,” Trump wrote. “That means I can’t get it (immune), and can’t give it. Very nice to know!!!”
Twitter said the post violated its rules about “spreading misleading and potentially harmful information” related to COVID-19. But Twitter did not remove the post, saying it may be in the public’s interest for the tweet to remain accessible.
Trump announced Oct. 2 that he and first lady Melania Trump tested positive for COVID-19. Since then, an array of White House officials and top Republicans have also tested positive, several who were in attendance at a Sept. 26 Rose Garden announcement of Trump’s Supreme Court pick. That gathering has since been