Garden center on Cape Cod destroyed by fire

Fire officials are investigating a blaze that destroyed a garden center on Cape Cod.



a room with smoke and fire: A fire destroyed Russo's Cape Cod Bark and Landscape in Sandwich, Massachusetts, on Sept. 26, 2020.


© Provided by WCVB Boston
A fire destroyed Russo’s Cape Cod Bark and Landscape in Sandwich, Massachusetts, on Sept. 26, 2020.

The Sandwich Fire Department reports that it responded to a fire at Russo’s Cape Cod Bark and Landscape on Route 130 just before 2:30 p.m. Saturday.


Sign up for our Newsletters

Flames were showing in 75% of the building by the time firefighters arrived, which prompted crews to strike a second alarm and request units from Joint Base Cape Cod, Mashpee, Bourne and West Barnstable.

Officials say 30 firefighters were working to extinguish the fire, which took over two hours to do. One firefighter was evaluated for a minor injury at the scene and was released.

The building was completely destroyed by the fire, as well as two pickup trucks and two motorcycles. Fire officials estimate the fire caused $600,000 in damages.

Officials say the cause of the fire appears to be accidental, but it is being investigated by the Sandwich Fire Department and the Massachusetts State Police.

The Department of Fire Services Rehab Unit and state police assigned to the State Fire Marshal’s Office provided support at the scene. The Barnstable, Cotuit and Plymouth fire departments provided station coverage for Sandwich firefighters while they battled the blaze.

TOP STORIES FROM WCVB:

Red Sox say they will have new manager in 2021

Large party threatens to derail another district’s plans

Authorities searching for driver who struck, killed moped rider

Boston police searching for shooter who killed man in Dorchester

Sen. Markey says he will vote to expand Supreme Court if GOP nominee is confirmed

Man steals delivery truck from hospital, crashes into police station

READ THE FULL STORY:Garden center on Cape Cod destroyed by fire

CHECK OUT WCVB:Get the latest Boston news, weather and sports online, anytime. Stay in the know with Boston’s news leader – WCVB.

Continue Reading

Source Article

Read more

Fire that destroyed Turner home started near kitchen

TURNER — A fire that destroyed a 2½-story house at 222 Bean St.,  near the Livermore line, on Monday night started in the kitchen area, Fire Chief Nathan Guptill said Wednesday.

A fire destroyed a house on Monday at 222 Bean St. in Turner. Androscoggin County Sheriff’s Office photo

The fire rekindled Tuesday morning.

State fire investigators from the Office of the State Fire Marshal were at the site Tuesday and are continuing to try to determine the cause, Guptill said

The house is owned by Stephanie Dow, he said.

There were five other adults and four dogs and some cats that lived at the home. Four women, two men, according to a gofundme fundraiser page organized by daughter, Jessie Brailey of Turner.

Some family members were home and were able to get out safely. No one was injured.

The fire was reported as a possible structure fire at about 7:45 p.m. Monday. When Dylan Rider, a deputy with the Androscoggin County Sheriff’s Office, arrived on the scene he reported the house was well involved, Guptill said.

State fire investigators are working to determine the cause of a fire that destroyed a house on Monday night at 222 Bean St. in Turner. Turner Fire/Rescue photo

About 30 firefighters from Turner, Buckfield, Canton, Greene, Leeds, Livermore, Livermore Falls, Minot and Sumner responded to the scene as well as Turner Rescue.

“We had a pretty quick knock down on the exterior but the fire had already gotten into the attic,” he said.

Firefighters were able to get up in to the attic but it was already too late, Guptill said.

It is an older home.

Rider and two state troopers helped pull hoses out and were a “huge” help in getting the equipment ready to fight the fire, he said.

Firefighters left the scene at 1 a.m. Tuesday but were called back at just after 9 a.m. because the fire rekindled near the bulkhead. Guptill said he moved the nearby propane tank out of the way and fire was extinguished.

The house is insured. The family stayed with family and friends on Monday night, he said. The American Red Cross was called in to assist them.


« Previous


Next »

Source Article

Read more

Rachael Ray shares video of her destroyed house following devastating fire

Rachael Ray provided a look at the devastation that her upstate New York home endured in a horrific fire last month.



Rachael Ray holding a cell phone: NEW YORK, NEW YORK - OCTOBER 12: Guest participates in culinary demonstration with Chef Rachael Ray at the Grand Tasting presented by ShopRite featuring Culinary Demonstrations at The IKEA Kitchen presented by Capital One at Pier 94 on October 12, 2019 in New York City. (Photo by John Lamparski/Getty Images for NYCWFF)


© John Lamparski
NEW YORK, NEW YORK – OCTOBER 12: Guest participates in culinary demonstration with Chef Rachael Ray at the Grand Tasting presented by ShopRite featuring Culinary Demonstrations at The IKEA Kitchen presented by Capital One at Pier 94 on October 12, 2019 in New York City. (Photo by John Lamparski/Getty Images for NYCWFF)

The celebrity chef posted a photo and video showing the ruined remains of the house following the blaze in Lake Luzerne, which occurred Aug. 9.

“This is what’s left of our house, today,” Ray captioned the photo, which she shared on her Instagram story.

In a video posted to the Instagram account for her syndicated “Rachael Ray” talk show, the longtime TV star toured areas of the destruction and pointed out where rooms such as her library and bedroom used to be.

Ray, 52, and her family were home when the fire broke out, a rep for the Food Network star told the Daily News last month. The rep confirmed they were all safe.

“Thank you to our local first responders for being kind and gracious and saving what they could of our home,” Ray tweeted at the time.

“Grateful that my mom, my husband, my dog… we’re all okay. These are the days we all have to be grateful for what we have, not what we’ve lost.”

Ray began filming episodes of her show at that Lake Luzerne home in April during the coronavirus pandemic.

Continue Reading

Source Article

Read more