Lordstown Motors shows electric truck interior, confirms 40,000 pre-orders

Lordstown Motors on Wednesday showed the interior of its Endurance electric pickup truck for the first time. The company also confirmed that it had received 40,000 pre-orders for the Endurance, which is scheduled to start deliveries in late summer 2021.

The four interior photos Lordstown released indicate a no-frills affair, in line with the Endurance’s planned use as a work truck for commercial fleets. Instead of a conventional instrument cluster and infotainment screen, the Endurance has one horizontal screen running about half the length of the dashboard. A handful of analog controls are clustered below that, along with what appears to be a rotary gear selector.

No interior was shown at the official reveal in June, which turned out to be more of a political rally than a vehicle unveiling.

Lordstown Endurance

Lordstown Endurance

Key stats for the Endurance include 600 combined horsepower from four in-wheel hub motors and a 250-mile range.

Lordstown was formed to save the former General Motors factory in its namesake Ohio town. CEO Steve Burns previously ran another company, Workhorse, that developed electric delivery vans and a plug-in hybrid pickup truck called the W-15, which may have formed the basis for the all-electric Endurance.

Several other companies are looking to launch electric pickup trucks in the coming months. That includes newcomers Bollinger and Rivian, established automakers Ford and General Motors, and Tesla, which has never built a pickup truck before but has gotten plenty of attention with its unorthodox Cybertruck.

Most of these trucks are aimed at recreational use, but Ford just last week hinted at cost of ownership and fleet use, saying its F-150 Electric would be a “workhorse, not a showhorse.”

Source Article

Read more

Trump confirms White House staff member tested positive for Covid-19

President Donald Trump confirmed Wednesday that a White House staff member tested positive for the coronavirus.

But the unnamed person who contracted the disease did not “affect” the large, in-person gathering with a number of world leaders that took place on the White House south lawn a day earlier, Trump’s spokeswoman assured.

Questions had arisen earlier in the day about another Covid-19 infection at the White House, when a journalist there reported hearing about “a couple of positives today.”

At a briefing, White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany declined to comment on whether any staff members had tested positive, saying, “I don’t share people’s personal medical information.”

But Trump, speaking at a news conference in the White House briefing room Tuesday evening, was more willing to discuss what he had been told.

“I heard about it this morning at a very small level,” Trump began. But moments later, he said, “Last night I heard about it for the first time, and it’s a small number of cases.”

He then asked McEnany, who was sitting next to the podium, what she could share.

“We’re not going to confirm the identities,” she said, “But it did not affect the event and press was not around” the infected person.

“And it’s not anybody that was near me,” Trump added.

McEnany told Trump that just one person had tested positive for the virus. “It was one person,” Trump repeated, adding, “not a person that I was associated with.” 

On Tuesday, the White House hosted a ceremony on its south lawn for the signing of accords formalizing diplomatic ties between Israel and two Gulf Arab states. Israel Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, along with the leaders of the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain, attended the event in person.

CNN and other outlets noted that the celebratory gathering appeared to disregard most social distancing measures that public health experts, including many within the Trump administration, recommend.

Others who work in the White House have previously tested positive. In May, it was revealed that a personal valet for Trump, who among other tasks serves the president his meals, had contracted the virus.

That same month, Vice President Mike Pence’s press secretary Katie Miller also tested positive.

Source Article

Read more

Trump confirms another White House staffer tested positive for COVID-19

President TrumpDonald John TrumpTrump says he doesn’t think he could’ve done more to stop virus spread Conservative activist Lauren Witzke wins GOP Senate primary in Delaware Trump defends claim coronavirus will disappear, citing ‘herd mentality’ MORE on Wednesday confirmed that a White House staffer tested positive for COVID-19 in the last 24 hours but said he did not have contact with the individual.

The positive test came after the White House hosted hundreds of people on the South Lawn on Tuesday for the signing of peace accords to mark the normalization of relations between Israel and two Arab countries. Trump offered few details on the latest positive case at the White House.

“Last night I heard about it for the first time, and it’s a small number of cases,” Trump told reporters at a news conference, appearing unfamiliar with the specifics.

He turned to press secretary Kayleigh McEnany, who earlier in the day told reporters she would not discuss any potential positive tests within the building. She confirmed at the evening briefing that one unidentified person tested positive but that “it did not affect the event and press was not around the individual.”

“And it’s not anybody that was near me,” Trump added.

The White House has not publicized each individual case of COVID-19 among staff, though some cases have been confirmed after they were reported in the press. National security adviser Robert O’BrienRobert O’BrienDHS asks Schiff to reconsider expanded probe after whistleblower complaint, declines additional interview requests Trump officials defend president’s coronavirus response amid Woodward revelations Pence denies Trump’s downplaying hampered COVID-19 response MORE has already had COVID-19. So has a White House valet who serves the president. Katie Miller, the vice president’s communications director and the wife of Trump senior adviser Stephen MillerStephen MillerBiden pick creates furor, underscoring bitterness over Obama immigration policy Ambassador to France says Trump never disparaged war dead White House officials voted by show of hands on 2018 family separations: report MORE, also has had COVID-19. 

The latest positive test follows weeks of the White House shirking guidelines from its own public health officials on preventing transmission of COVID-19.

Officials have eschewed wearing masks, and the president has held large events outdoors for weeks, dating back to last month’s Republican National Convention, where hundreds of people were packed closely together during his speech to accept the nomination.

The president held a packed campaign rally on Sunday that was indoors and in violation of a Nevada ordinance capping events at 50 people. Gov. Steve SisolakSteve SisolakTrump says he’s not worried about contracting coronavirus at rallies At indoor rally, Pence says election runs through Wisconsin Fox anchor presses Trump aide on indoor rally: ‘This goes against the president’s own administration guidelines’ MORE (D) blasted Trump’s actions as “shameful, dangerous and irresponsible.”

Source Article

Read more