Homeless man held on $20,000 bail after allegedly hitting pedestrian by Public Garden

A 58-year-old homeless man was held on $20,000 cash bail on Friday, a day after police said he walked away after the pickup truck he stole hit a pedestrian by the Boston Public Garden, leaving her with life-threatening injuries.

Keith Andrade, whose address is listed as homeless, was arraigned Friday in Boston Municipal Court on charges including larceny of a motor vehicle, leaving the scene of a personal-injury accident, and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon.

The victim, whose name was not released, was hit after police said Andrade crashed the stolen pickup truck into the gates of the public garden. She is listed in critical condition, Boston police said.

Andrade’s $1,000 bail in a separate case was revoked. He has two active warrants out of Boston District Court for larceny from a person, police said.

Police said they arrested Andrade once they spotted him Thursday night, hours after the 4:22 p.m. crash in the area of Washington and School streets.

Police said the call first came in of a person struck at the corner of Boylston and Charles streets. Authorities were making “full notifications” soon after, which is done when someone either has died or might die.

Witness Antonio Avanti was waiting for the light on Boylston when he heard the crash and then saw smoke. He told the Herald he jumped out of his car and saw what appeared to be a young woman lying on the ground with people tending to her.

“She had an angel — there was somebody with blue scrubs who was helping her,” Avanti said.

The vehicle — a black Chevrolet Colorado, he said — had jumped the curb and smashed into the iron fencing and stone pillars that form an entrance to the Public Garden at the corner of the two streets, the Boston resident said.

The Chevy pickup truck remained there, propped up on a small pile of debris.

Brendan Kearney of the WalkBoston advocacy group said he counts five fatal crashes in Boston this year, including the one earlier this week in Andrew Square.

He said the city should use its current Boston Common master planning project to take a hard look at the wide streets surrounding the pedestrian-heavy parks downtown that “really just invite speeding.”

  • BOSTON, MA: October 1, 2020: First Responders at the scene of a serious pedestrian accident on Charles and Boylston Streets in Boston, Massachusetts.(Staff photo by Nicolaus Czarnecki/MediaNews Group/Boston Herald)

  • BOSTON, MA: October 1, 2020: First Responders at the scene of a serious pedestrian accident on Charles and Boylston Streets in Boston, Massachusetts.(Staff photo by Nicolaus Czarnecki/MediaNews Group/Boston Herald)

  • BOSTON, MA: October 1, 2020: First Responders at the scene of a serious pedestrian accident on Charles and Boylston Streets in Boston, Massachusetts.(Staff photo by Nicolaus Czarnecki/MediaNews Group/Boston Herald)

  • BOSTON, MA: October 1, 2020: First Responders at the scene of a serious pedestrian accident on Charles and Boylston Streets in Boston, Massachusetts.(Staff photo by Nicolaus Czarnecki/MediaNews Group/Boston Herald)

  • BOSTON, MA: October 1, 2020: First Responders

Read more

Woman charged with sending ricin to the White House pleads not guilty, will be held without bail

A woman charged with making threats against President Trump by mailing a package containing ricin to the White House was ordered held without bail Monday by a judge in Buffalo who cited “a very strong case” against her based on an indictment in Washington, D.C.

Pascale Ferrier, 53, of a Montreal suburb, was arrested a week ago as she tried to enter the U.S. through a border crossing between Fort Erie, Ontario, and Buffalo. Her lawyer entered a not guilty plea on her behalf Monday.

U.S. Magistrate Judge H. Kenneth Schroeder Jr. cited a long history of assassinations and attempted assassinations of U.S. presidents since the killing of President Abraham Lincoln in finding that Ferrier was an ongoing threat to the president and others.

He also read from a letter that prosecutors allege Ferrier wrote to Trump and included in the ricin-laden container, in which she allegedly threatened to find a more dangerous poison or to use her gun to stop him from his presidential campaign.

“It would appear to me the government has a very strong case, especially assuming the legal validity of the alleged admissions at the time of her arrest,” Schroeder said of the woman, who has French and Canadian citizenship.

He ordered her transfer to Washington to face the one-count indictment.

The envelope containing the toxic substance and the threatening letter was addressed to the White House but was intercepted at a mail sorting facility on September 18. No one was harmed.

Besides the letter’s threats was a command to Trump to “give up and remove our application for this election,” authorities said.

The FBI discovered that six additional similar letters appeared to have been received in Texas a few days earlier, according to a criminal complaint.

Her lawyer, Fonda Dawn Kubiak, argued that she should be granted bail. “As Ms. Ferrier sits here today, she is presumed innocent,” Kubiak said.

She called her client “highly educated” with the equivalent of a master’s degree in engineering in France and who was employed by an aircraft engineering company.

Kubiak said Ferrier could reside with her son in Quebec or possibly with family members in Texas.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Timothy Lynch said Ferrier was trying to enter the United States last week when an officer approached and asked if she was OK. “No, I’m wanted by the FBI for the ricin envelope,” he quoted her as responding.

He said authorities handcuffed her and searched her vehicle, in which they found a semiautomatic handgun loaded with seven rounds of ammunition, nearly 300 rounds of other ammunition, pepper spray, a knife and a stun gun.

“She was loaded for bear, Judge,” the prosecutor said.

He said that ricin had been located at her apartment outside Montreal and that she was likely to face additional charges in Washington, Texas and Buffalo.

Source Article

Read more

Singapore Kitchen Equipment CEO, group senior sales manager, on bail amid graft probe, Business News & Top Stories

SINGAPORE (THE BUSINESS TIMES) – Catalist-listed Singapore Kitchen Equipment said on Sunday night (Sept 13) that its husband-and-wife founders Sally Chua Chwee Choo and Alan Lee Chong Hoe, as well as group senior sales manager Alvin Chiao Shan Ren, were interviewed by the authorities in a corruption probe.

Ms Chua is the group’s executive director and chief executive officer, while Mr Lee is an executive director.

Ms Chua and Mr Chiao are on bail in relation to investigations into offences under Section 6(b) of the Prevention of Corruption Act, the group said in a regulatory update.

It added that their passports were surrendered to the Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau (CPIB).

Ms Chua, Mr Lee and Mr Chiao were interviewed by the CPIB on or about Sept 10 in connection with entertainment expenses and sales commissions relating to certain projects undertaken by Q’son Kitchen Equipment, a wholly-owned subsidiary.

The group, through Q’son, provides commercial and industrial kitchen solutions for the food and beverage and hospitality services industries. Ms Chua is also the managing director of Q’son.

Singapore Kitchen Equipment said the investigation is ongoing and no charges have been filed against Ms Chua, Mr Lee and Mr Chiao as at Sunday. Its nominating committee is of the view that the trio remain competent and it would be in the group’s best interests that they continue to discharge their responsibilities and duties in the operation of the group’s businesses.

Although it is presently not aware of any impropriety or offence committed by Ms Chua, Mr Lee and Mr Chiao, the board said it has appointed solicitors and an independent reviewer to, among other things, review the group’s internal processes and internal controls to further strengthen corporate governance.

Singapore Kitchen Equipment on Sunday requested to lift a trading halt called on Sept 11. The counter last traded at 9.8 cents on Aug 20.

Correction note: An earlier version of the article incorrectly reported that Alan Lee Chong Hoe instead of Alvin Chiao Shan Ren as being on bail and having his passport surrendered.  We are sorry for the error.

Source Article

Read more