Parnham House: ‘Adventure stays’ plan for arson attack estate

James Perkins

image captionJames Perkins said two ceilings had fallen in since he bought the property for £2.5m in March

A Grade I-listed stately home which was largely destroyed in a suspected arson attack is to be a base for “adventure” stays and visits, its owner has said.

Parnham House, near Beaminster, Dorset, was gutted by the fire in April 2017.

Its new owner, former rave scene promoter James Perkins, said his “unusual ideas” for the estate included roaming circus performers and giraffes.

Mr Perkins said he intended to submit a planning application to Dorset Council in January.

image copyrightDWFRS

image captionThe house was largely destroyed by fire in 2017
image copyrightDWFRS
image captionThe blaze destroyed most of the roof and many internal floors and walls

The fire broke out in the early hours of 15 April 2017 and took four days to extinguish fully.

Previous owner Michael Treichl was arrested on suspicion of arson and was found dead two months later.

Historic England previously said the house had been unprotected for two years after the blaze,

and it feared the “likely” collapse of external walls.

Its latest report, obtained by the BBC under the Freedom of Information Act, noted collapses in 2018 or 2019 of a roof, an internal room and a chimney.

It concluded: “The need for over-roofing and scaffolding support to the internal structure is becoming more critical.”

image captionHistoric England said stabilisation work was “critical” to prevent further collapses

Mr Perkins, 51, the former head of rave promoter Fantazia, said he paid about £2.5m for the estate in March.

He said: “Since I’ve been here, two ceilings have fallen in. If you allow yourself to get downhearted then you give up.”

He said he aimed to have scaffolding erected by Christmas, after Historic England previously offered to pay for stabilisation work.

Mr Perkins, who has restored other mansions, said the main buildings could become a “Batman house” with secret doors and contraptions.

He said the 131-acre estate would be transformed into “magical gardens” for stays, visits and events, with resident acrobats and architectural follies.

The entrepreneur said he hoped to welcome the first visitors in 2021.

More on this story

Source Article

Read more

Man Accused Of Arson In Deadly Hell’s Kitchen Fire

HELL’S KITCHEN, NY — A 28-year-old man has been arrested and charged with arson for allegedly starting a fire that killed another man inside his Hell’s Kitchen apartment earlier this month, police said Wednesday.

The fire was reported around 9:49 a.m. on Sept. 4, inside a third-floor apartment at 855 9th Avenue.

After crews extinguished the fire, they found 37-year-old Michael Hannant, who lived in the apartment, unconscious and unresponsive, suffering from smoke inhalation. Paramedics brought Hannant to Weill Cornell Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead five days later.

One firefighter suffered a minor injury, multiple outlets reported at the time.

Just over an hour after the fire was reported, police arrested Sadam Assana, 28, who lived about five blocks south of Hannant on 9th Avenue.

In court filings, police allege that Assana, Hannant and Hannant’s roommate had been having a conversation in the apartment until around 5:30 a.m., and that the roommate fell asleep later that morning. The roommate awoke to find her room on fire but managed to escape, police said.

The filings allege that Assana told an FDNY lieutenant that he used a lighter to start the fire, and that the lieutenant found the lighter in Assana’s pocket.

Assana was charged with arson and attempted arson, and Hannant’s death was deemed a homicide, police said.

Assana was arraigned Sept. 5 and is next due in court Oct. 6.

Source Article

Read more

Medina Police arrest Santa House arson suspect

MEDINA, Ohio — Following up on several tips, Medina Police detectives have arrested 23-year-old Tristan Rosen, of Akron, in connection with a June 6 fire at the building housing city’s “Santa House” Christmas display.

Medina Police and Medina Fire Department personnel responded to the fire call at 410 E. Smith Road at approximately 11:20 p.m. June 6. The fire was brought under control, but not before the building and all of its contents was destroyed. The complete loss was valued at more $100,000.

The city-owned storage barn contained the Santa’s House, a decorative box trailer used during the annual Medina Candlelight Walk festivities.

Suspicious fire

The fire was almost immediately classified as “suspicious” by the fire department. Tips led police to name Rosen as a suspect and, according to a Sept. 8 Medina Police Department release, “throughout the investigation, detectives discovered additional evidence to support Rosen’s responsibility in setting the fire.”

The release went on to state that Rosen admitted to setting the fire in subsequent interviews with detectives. Rosen was arrested Sept. 3 and charged with aggravated arson, a felony of the first degree, and arson, a felony of the fourth degree.

Rosen remains incarcerated at the Medina County Jail pending trial.

Read more news from the Medina Sun.

———

©2020 The Plain Dealer, Cleveland

Visit The Plain Dealer, Cleveland at www.cleveland.com

Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

Continue Reading

Source Article

Read more

Arson suspected in fire at St. Paul ‘nightmare’ house where man was fatally shot a day earlier

A suspicious fire struck a home Sunday where a man was shot to death a day earlier in St. Paul, authorities said.

The blaze at the residence in the 800 block of E. Lawson Avenue, which has drawn a substantial amount of police attention this year, was being investigated as a possible arson, Fire Department personnel at the scene said.

A 37-year-old man showed up at the home about 2:20 a.m. Sunday while intoxicated and “attempted to enter the crime scene that was protected by crime scene tape and monitored by officers,” said Police Sgt. Mike Ernster.

The man was told by police to leave, but he sat down on the drive and defied the officers’ orders, Ernster said. Police arrested him and booked him in jail on suspicion of obstructing the legal process, a misdemeanor.

Police left the scene about 9 a.m. only to return about two hours with firefighters after “witnesses reported smoke and flames coming from the house,” the sergeant said. The blaze was extinguished, and no injuries were reported.

On Saturday, officers called to the scene about 4 p.m. and found a man suffering from a gunshot wound to his upper body. Paramedics pronounced him dead at the scene. The victim’s identity has yet to be released.

The death marked St. Paul’s 24th homicide of the year. No arrests have been announced.

Ernster said that the residence has been connected to 170 911 calls this year.

“They were everything from drug offenses to property crime calls to quality-of-life issues and disorderly conduct,” the department spokesman said.

Al Thompson, who lives nearby, said, “That house has been a nightmare to our neighborhood. We hear gunshots almost on a daily basis just from that address.

“This was going to be my kids’ bus stop if they were not distance learning. I am so glad I do not have to worry about that address or the kids playing at the park nearby.”

Homicide investigators were interviewing witnesses at police headquarters Saturday night. Anyone with information is asked to call police at 651-266-5650.

Read more

Bristol arson attack on cars, caravan, vans and house

Lake Road, BristolImage copyright
Becky

Image caption

The fires broke out in Lake Road, Westbury-on-Trym

A house, caravan, two vans and three cars “were deliberately set on fire” on a road in Bristol, police have said.

The blazes broke out in Lake Road, Westbury-on-Trym, at around 03:00 BST on Saturday.

Avon Fire and Rescue Service said the fires were brought under control quickly and a fire investigation officer is working to find the cause.

Jim Hackford, whose car was damaged, said it had been “scary” waking to the sound of “tyres popping” and “bangs”.

Avon and Somerset Police is appealing for anyone with information, CCTV or dashcam footage to come forward.

“Several cars and an unoccupied caravan were set alight, with the flames spreading to cause extensive damage to the front of a nearby house,” a spokesman for the force said.

“Thankfully no-one was hurt, but given the time of night this act endangered the lives of the householders.”

Mr Hackford said he was woken at about 03:00 BST to “loud bangs” and a “strange bright orange glow”.

“I got out of bed and saw my neighbour’s caravan was engulfed in flames and the tyres were popping,” he said.

“A bunch of cars and vehicles were also on fire, up and down the road, and a couple of houses.

“I couldn’t believe my eyes. I freaked out, it was scary, I kept thinking what else is going to happen.”

Image copyright
Becky

Image caption

Jim Hackford was woken at about 03:00 GMT to “loud bangs” and a “strange bright orange glow”

Image copyright
Jim Hackford

Image caption

Resident Patricia Simpson said it was “shocking”

Image caption

Avon and Somerset Police is appealing for anyone with information, CCTV or dashcam footage to come forward

Patricia Simpson, who lives nearby, said: “I heard a few bangs and thought it sounded like gunshots but it was the car making the noise because it was on fire.

“The flames were huge. It’s a shocking thing to see. You see it in the movies but you don’t see it in real life.”

Source Article

Read more