Kitchen fire causes minimal damage to Hazleton home |

Hazleton firefighters made quick work of an accidental kitchen fire Tuesday afternoon.

They were called to 163 S. Wyoming St. for the flames and found smoke coming from inside the half duplex upon arrival, Fire Chief Donald Leshko said. The home is close to the intersection of East Birch Street.

The mother was cooking when the fire happened, called 911 and quickly got her children outside who were taking classes online at home through a local school, he said.

“Mom saw the fire, shut the stove off and got the kids out.”

“They knew what to do,” the chief continued.

Firefighters extinguished the flames, finding it began on a stove top and also found a melted bottle of cooking oil nearby. They also removed the stove top and took it outside and ventilated the home.

No injuries were reported and firefighters kept the fire contained to the kitchen. The woman living there said she would contact the landlord so repairs could be made.

Leshko said though accidents happen, always remember to be attentive while cooking and keep the area around the oven and stove clear.

— Amanda Christman

Source Article