Fresh twist in case of mother-of-two who died in the bathroom of a party boat as it’s revealed she ‘was poisoned by a harmful gas’ and captain is charged
- A mother-of-two died in the locked toilet cubicle of cruise boat the Lady Rose
- Shalina Abdulhussein, 39, was found by deckhand slumped over bathroom sink
- Her devastated family believe she had inhaled toxic gas in the confined space
- Other partygoers reported noticing a ‘strange smell’ earlier on the voyage
- An investigation found a ‘faulty waterless basin trap’ within the sewage system
- The faulty system led to the release of hydrogen sulphide into the cubicle
- The captain, Paul Titze, 45, has now been charged with multiple offences
Shalina Abdulhussein, 39, was found slumped over a bathroom sink on the three-level Lady Rose catamaran on February 2
The captain of a party boat where a mother-of-two was likely killed by poisonous gas which leaked onto the ship from a faulty sewage system has been charged over the incident.
Shalina Abdulhussein, 39, was discovered slumped over a bathroom sink on the three-level Lady Rose catamaran on Sydney Harbour on February 2, 2019.
She had been celebrating at a birthday party on the ship before her body was discovered by a deckhand during the four-hour cruise.
Rumours quickly began swirling that she had been died of a drug overdose but her family vehemently denied those claims.
An investigation by the Office of Transport Safety has found a ‘faulty waterless basin trap’ within the sewage system led to the release of hydrogen sulphide into the cubicle.
Hydrogen sulphide is a colourless gas, which smells like rotten eggs. High-level exposure of the poisonous gas can be deadly.
The captain of the ship Paul Titze, 45, of Botany, has been charged with multiple offences by the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) relating to the incident.
Ms Abdulhussein had been on board the Lady Rose catamaran for a four-hour birthday party
Partygoers were treated for shock after Ms Abdulhussein was found. Some reported a ‘weird smell’ on board the ship
Titze has pleaded guilty to unreasonably placing the safety of another person at risk, court records show, the Daily Telegraph reported.
However, he has pleaded not guilty to operating recklessly or negligently while master of the Lady Rose on February 2, 2019.
The case has been adjourned and the matter will return for a hearing at a later date.
The investigation into Ms Abdulhussein’s death found she was likely overcome by the harmful gas before passing out and dying during the party, The Sydney Morning Herald reported.
The investigation also found the crew lacked urgency in dealing with the gas as guests had reported a strong ‘rotting egg’ smell four hours before Ms Abdulhussein’s body as found.
The Lady Rose left Pyrmont at 12.30pm with the 27 party guests on board. Within half an hour of their trip passengers complained of a smell.
Several passengers then began feeling unwell and began vomiting.
The Lady Rose left Pyrmont at 12.30pm with the 27 party guests on board. Within half an hour of their trip passengers complained of a smell
The master of the boat was informed of the issue at 2.50pm.
He decided to dock at Bailey’s Marine, White Bay to empty the sewage system.
Ms Abdulhussein had entered the cubicle at 3.30pm, before the ship had docked.
She was later found slumped over a bathroom sink and could not be revived.
Ms Abdulhussein’s death has been referred to the coroner.
A TIMELINE OF HOW THE PARTY BOAT TURNED INTO TRAGEDY:
12.30pm, February 2, 2019: Shalina Abdulhussein is among the 27 party guests who board the Lady Rose at Pyrmont
1pm: Guests complain of a smell coming from the ship
2pm: Guests began feeling unwell and start vomiting
2.30pm: The master of the boat is informed of the complaints of the strong smell
3.30pm: Shalina Abdulhussein enters the bathroom cubicle
The master of the boat decides to dock Bailey’s Marine, White Bay to empty the sewage system
4:30pm: Ms Abdulhussein is found slumped over a bathroom sink
She cannot be revived and dies at the scene