Whether you are looking to improve the resale value of your home or simply want to improve your own life, a bathroom remodel can help you accomplish your goals. That is, of course, as long as you find bathroom remodelers near you that are affordable, have a good reputation, and are willing to work with you to achieve your dreams of a beautiful, updated bathroom.
Finding the right bathroom remodeler for your needs on HomeAdvisor is easy. Enter your zip code and we’ll connect you with local, quality partners.
Getting Started in Planning Your Bathroom Remodel
A bathroom remodeling project can be as simple as changing the tiling or as complex as gutting and replacing everything in the room. That range of possibilities means you have to know exactly what you want before getting started in estimating your cost and finding bathroom remodelers near you. Here are a few tips to help your project get off the ground:
- Know your goal. What about your bathroom do you want to change? Are you simply looking for an update, or an entirely new room? Will you need a new shower, tub, or both?
- Find your style. Modern, contemporary bathrooms can be beautiful, but so can more elegant, classic alternatives. Find the style that matches both your preferences and the rest of your home. The type of bathroom also impacts your choices here; a guest bathroom will probably need a more neutral style than a lavish master bath retreat.
- Choose a layout. You might be constrained by the existing proportions of your room. But even within these proportions, you can still lay out your bathroom in a way that maximizes its function. Make sure that you can fit everything you want and need, while still having enough room to comfortably maneuver in the space.
Of course, the right bathroom contractor can help you determine these steps, and provide you with some options to get started. But if you at least have a general idea about each of the above points, you can more easily find a remodeler that will help you build a beautiful, new bathroom retreat.
How much does it cost to remodel a bathroom?
The average bathroom remodel ranges between $6,000 and $15,000. Your budget may be as little as $3,500 for a small powder room or as large as $25,000 for a large master bathroom.
Labor alone is between $40 and $75 per hour, and accounts for about 50% of the entire project. In an area with a thriving real estate market, those prices could be up to 20% higher. The rest of the budget consists of materials and features.
The size of your bathroom, quality of the features, and amount of plumbing required can all increase project costs.
How long does a bathroom renovation take?
The average bathroom remodel takes about 3 to 4 weeks of full-time labor, including all plumbing. It can be as short as one week for a simple paint or tiling job, or as long as 3 months for a comprehensive remodel of a large space.
What is the cheapest way to remodel a bathroom?
A bathroom remodel is almost always expensive, but you can take a few cost-saving steps:
- Keep the layout identical to avoid plumbing work.
- Substitute cheaper materials like vinyl flooring, laminate countertops and faux-stone tiles.
- Refinish your tub instead of buying a new one.
- Buy prefabricated features instead of custom sizes.
- Refresh existing vanities with new hardware and faucets.
- Offer to help the contractor, if permitted, to save on labor costs.
What questions should I ask bathroom remodelers?
- Do you take on projects like mine?
- What’s your timeline for completion?
- Can I see examples of your work?
- Will your price change after you start the work?
- Will your job include demolition?
- Will you subcontract some of the work, like plumbing?
- Do you trust your subcontractors?
- Do you and your subcontractors have active licenses and insurance?
- Will my projects need permits, and can you get them?
- Do you offer a warranty after completion of the job?